Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which sounds closest to wenge? ebony, rosewood , or maple

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by digfashiondisco, Aug 23, 2003.

1. repost: Closest sound to wenge. I am trying to decide on a board for my lakland 55-94. I am so used to wenge so closest sound will be a comfort. ebony perhaps. Thanks

2. Wenge is a hard wood. And so is ebony. So it may sound the same, and feel the same.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd go with purpleheart for a "wenge" feeling.
    If not, ebony.

4. Pau Ferro would be close. I don't know if Lakland offers it, and I presume from your post that they don't. Ebony is quite a lot denser than wenge. I am not too sure about the rosewood though.

Geoff

5. Jarrod

Jarrod

Jan 1, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree. Ebony is a lot harder and darker than wenge, and being that Pau Ferro is a relative of Rosewood, the answer to the original question then is Rosewood.

6. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    Ebony or purpleheart, they are different than wenge but you'll get a better sound!!:D:D

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Schmapty-boy!

(Sorry y'all, he's a co-worker at BC ;) )

Unfortunately, the suggestions of pau ferro and purpleheart won't work, as he is getting a Lakland, and they don't offer those woods as an option.

Tough call - I'd still go with what I've already said for the tone and look you're going for: Ebony.

I think for the tone you're going for, second choice would be maple (nice and bright, cuts well, won't go with your asthetic desire though :(). Rosewood will not work for you, IMO.

8. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    In reply to a wood that like wenge and not wenge it would be padouk! Padouk will give you the closest tome and feel to wenge, however why not go with wenge? If Wenge is what you want and the company your buying a bass from won't make it then go somewhere else. No reason to settle for something, if its not what your looking for. There are a number of production basses and custom basses to choose from.

Good luck,

9. :eek: I thank you all for your suggestions to my post. I am surely going with a lakland 55, and would hope to keep the tone similiar to my Tobias with wenge board. I played a friends 55 with ebony board for 5 minutes. Old strings, felt OK. \Still thinking bout it. Later
    Whats up Gard,, shmapety boyz.... Peace .. Brother... monday is only a day away. need more time off.. say .....1 month

10. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Happy-feet-boy...yeah, Monday is too damn close to Saturday, ain't it? :p

Good luck with the choice...any way you go, you almost can't go wrong! :D

11. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    You should forego the Lakland all together and get a Furman power conditioner. It'll fix all your problems.

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Y'know dat dere Furman Power Conditioner dere'll ev'n make ya dere balsa wood finga-board soun' jes like dat dere wing-eee stuff dere...

13. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I love Wenge as a fingerboard wood, nice deep lows and bright top end that cuts through very nicely. In my opinion, all the other fb wood I have tried such as Rosewood, Ebony, Madagascar Ebony, Rosewood and Maple, nothing even sounds close to Wenge.

I would agree with Gard that Maple is a good choice if you like quick attack and a cleaner, brighter sound. I never thought I would like Maple as a fb wood but I actually love it. I now own a Roscoe LG 3005 and a F Bass BN5, both with a Maple fb. I also had a custom shop Warwick Thumb 5 BO with it too. All these basses sound great. Maple is great sounding, I still love Wenge better but the Maple will sound nice.

Brian from TLE does have a great point, if you really want Wenge and the manufacturer does not offer it as a choice, go to another company. There are many companies that make quality basses with a Wenge fb, just don't settle for something less than you want.

http://community.webshots.com/user/pistoleroace

14. The difficulty there is in having "what you want" based entirely on the fretboard wood and not on any of the other characteristics of the instrument. He already knows that "what he wants" is a 55-94, presumably because of a lot of other factors besides the choices of fretboard wood. He's simply trying to get any idea which of the fretboard woods that's offered is going to be most like one that he already knows that he is used to and likes.

Mike

15. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Point taken, but, as I mentioned, if there is something you really want in an instrument, don't settle for something else. I have made that mistake before, actually it was the same mistake he will be making by not getting the Wenge fb. I had a Tobias Classic 5 for many years and just loved the tone that the Wenge fb gave me. I was stupid and sold it to buy another bass and have regretted it ever since. There are other companies that do make a bass that would meet his requirements. I was not bashing Lakland in any way by saying what I did, I just don't want to see someone make the same exact mistake that I made.

16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    My point as well. Lakland does a great job at what they do and if thats what he wants then get it. If the Wenge finger board is more important then the name on the headstock he can easily have a number of builders build a bass for him with the same pickup configuration and a wenge board. On the other hand if he is looking at the 5502, it will be tuff to beat by another maker. If its the US models, then he should be able to find something.

Neither pistoleroace or I meant to turn a sale away from anyone, but just answer a question and hoped to help him.....

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Mike broke the code y'all: He's GETTING a 55-94, and just trying to decide which fingerboard wood will give him the tone and appearance he is looking for. Swapping to another manufacturer is not an option.

...unless of course he can get a Furman power conditioner with a wenge fingerboard, then all bets are off...

(just ignore the Furman nonsense, it's an internal BC joke)

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Exactly. And as far as I'm concerned, going elsewhere simply for a particular fretboard wood is the same as going elsewhere for a particular color of hardware!

19. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Oh well, I guess if one must compromise...

You know what my opinion is already. Hope you like what you decide on.

One thing I don't get though, if Mike is so set on a Lakland, he must have already played them and knows what he likes, therefor, why ask the question. If he hasn't, why compromise, find something that has the total package.

NOTHING SOUNDS LIKE WENGE EXCEPT WENGE!!!

I don't mean to get people going on this issue, I just hate to see someone make a mistake like I made. (The same exact mistake). My opinion has been made and will now be done with this post unless Mike himself questions my remarks.

Good luck Mike.

20. What "Mike" are you talking about?

Mike