Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which speaker for a wedge monitor cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by larrytron, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Hi, I just got an old H&K wedge monitor cab without speaker.
    I can put a 12" and a tweeter.
    I was thinking about an Eminence delta 12lf but it's recommended for 85-142 liters... Mine is around 40.
    I want to use it with my GK 700RB as a bass cab for small gigs.
    COuld you help me. I'm not familiar with the WinlSD program and don't understand anything about it. I need you to tell me which model of 12" speaker I can put in the box.
    It's a vented cab if it helps.
    Thanks for any inputs...
    larry

2. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Someone will need to know the inner deminsions of the vent, as well. That is a really small cab, and might be better suited for use in a sealed system. There are some good cab builders on here that will probably have something that will work for you. You might have to modify the box though.
    Wes

3. It really looks like this HKaudio product but it's a Hughes and Kettner product(might be the same thing)
    I got it for free and there wasn't any speaker in it. I just know that I can put a 12" and a tweeter.
    [​IMG]
    Here is the pic.
    I really want to use it in a bass application because my 4*10 is kind of big for small bars and some cabarets.
    Thx

4. What about an Eminence Deltalite 2512???

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If you get the Thiele-Small parameters for the speaker that you're interested in (at least the Vas, Fs and Qts) you can model the box online at http://www.linearteam.org Run ISD Online from the right hand side of the page.

Once you enter in the three parameters that I mentiond, you can push the Optimum button on Vented box. It will tell you someone's idea of a perfect box for the speaker. You can then Draw It to look at the expected frequency response. You can also input your own volume and tuning frequency and see how that looks compared to the "optimum"

If you put a Delta 12LF in a 40 litre box, tuned to some frequency between 40 and 50 Hz, the -3 dB point is about 60 Hz...in theory.

Electro Voice designed a 36 litre box, tuned at something like 50 or 55 Hz for the EVM-12L. While it lacks deep lows, it's a really nice sounding little cabinet (IMO) I'm sure that the frequency response curve doesn't even look as pretty as the Delta 12LF in 40 L.

In the end, you have to follow Petebass' sig line and "listen with your ears and not your eyes".

I suppose you could use a car audio sub woofer...but the mids might suffer and they're terribly inefficient.

Like they say...Small, Low and Loud...pick TWO.

Good luck!!!

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Same kind of response with the Deltalite except -3 dB is at around 75 Hz.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I wouldn't stick a 12" deltalite in a box that small.

Of the Eminence offerings I'd look at the Omega Pro 12. Tune it to 50Hz and you get a -3db point of 53Hz.

I also like the Selenium WPU1205 and the B&C 12PS32.