Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which speakers do you prefer ?(and why)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zentner, May 20, 2003.

1. 5" speakers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 8" speakers

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  3. 10" speakers

53 vote(s)
    46.9%
  4. 12" speakers

28 vote(s)
    24.8%
  5. 15" speakers

24 vote(s)
    21.2%
  6. 18" speakers

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  7. other ?????

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. I'm curious what everyone prefers. It seems like most ppl on TB use 12's.

Why doesn't anyone use a big 18? Perhaps with a 4x10 combo?

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

When playing alone, I like just about any speaker type. In fact larger speakers can sound phatter. But when it comes to gigging, I always prefer 10" because they cut through the mix better. With larger speakers, note definition can get lost. YMMV, of course.

Lately I sometimes gig with 2x10" over 1x15". But I'd never use the 1x15" alone; for small rehearsals I use just the 2x10".

3. YMMV

4. I'd always been a fan of 10s until recently when I bought a cheap used 15 just for transportation purposes (leave it at the practice space).

I must say I'm a huge fan of 15s all of a sudden, they amount of punch it delivers compared to 10s is pretty huge. Of course this could just be my setup too, not sure if this would apply to everyone.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    depends...

if i'm doing a gig where there's alot of instrumentation, and i'm fighting for low end space with keys, two guitarists, a percussionist with a fat sounding djembe, and a busy drummer with a busy right foot, 10" speakers cut like nobody's business.

gives me that punch that none of the other instruments i mentioned have. i'm become the sonic assaultist. :bassist:

but if i'm in a much smaller gig, where its a trio of guitar, drums, and me; or keys, drums and me; or when i do solo bass stuff where its just drums and myself, then 12" speakers are da bombs.

fills in all the gaps, and makes the whole mix sound fuller. 15" are good for that too, but IMHO, anything larger than a 12", you lose punch and authority. also, they just muddy the mix, IMHO.

but again, that's IMHO. ;)

6. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    I played a boomy room this weekend. They had a decent combo w/a 15" and it sounded fine while I was setting up and tuning/warming up.
    As soon as we start playing a soundcheck, I hear mush. I ran out to the car and brought in my head/2x10 amp and all of the sudden I can be heard through the mix.

BTW Joker...your acme/aguilar rig is still on my regular wallpaper rotation.

Jeff

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I actually prefer the sound of 10s and 12s together. The two seem to complement themselved, IMHO. My Mini Rig uses an Epifani T-112 and an Epi T-110UL, and my Big Rig uses an Eden 212XLT and a Mesa Boogie 4x10.

I have tried various combinations of 10's, 12's, 15's, and 18's (no 8's, yet!), and so far, I have liked 10's and 12's together the best.

Tom.

8. Fuzzbass

<--- wants a Bergantino 322

9. Henry 8x8.
    Because it's unique
    and I'm a freak.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    LMAO! too funny, bro! but too bad i dont use it anymore... :( actually sold the Acme to Pierre in Montreal. hope he digs it!

11. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Are you playing 4 strings or 5?

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Too true. That, or a Whappo, Jr.

Tom.

13. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I use 2 2*10 and 1 1*15 cabs. The 2*10's are on one channel of my amp, the 1*15 on the other. That way I can tune my bass rig to the room or stage. Most of the time I set the 10's way louder than the 15.

14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Depends a bit on what sound you're going for (i.e. what sound character you prefer and your music calls for). I believe a combination of sizes is what gives a balanced full sound - which not necessarily everyone wants though.

My stack has 15" + 12"/6"/tweeter, with the tweeter turned down low or sometimes off. Sounds great to me.

15. Mr. Pitiful

Mr. Pitiful

Jan 22, 2003
    Fargo ND
    It all depends. My Eden 410 XLT cuts through, but you have to get a way from it abit, and seems to get thin about 3 or 4 feet into the dance floor, my Mesa Boogie 2X15 loaded with JBL"s you can stand right next to or in front of and and I can hear it better. Of course I keep switch ing everyother gig, so check with me next month. I think its also going to depend on the syle you play. I play alot of Motown soul, so the 15"s just sound better to me.

Mr. Pitiful

16. Fuzzbass

Five. The Bergantino 2x10 handles low B stuff just fine... even better than the 1x15 in fact. :)

17. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Cool...I may try the my 10's next time out on a small gig or rehearsal...Workingman's 2x10T from the SWR line...200 watts at 8 ohms...

18. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I don't like 15's much, i really prefer 10's or 12's. i keep having very bad expereiences with 1x15's. i had one for like a year that was obviously blown, and alll kinds of **** wrong with it, and that seems to sound better than one of those new ampeg 15 pro series cabs. i tried one in guitar center with a svt 3 pro, and it was like anti-bass. it sounded like i was plugged into a cell phone, or a squier 10 watt amp with an amazing 6.5 inch speaker. it sounded like crap. if i ever needed more bass, i'd add another 2x10, or more likely a 2x12. i really like the ampeg 6x10's, they have amazing bass response, and so do the SVT 410 HLF's. WIth ampeg they have some crappy stuff and some awesome stuff. i would shoot someone if they bought this rig:

Ampeg B2r running an SVT 410 HE and an SVT 15E.

It's a Squier 10 watt amp in full stack size!

To summarize, 10's and 12's i prefer.

19. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    it all depends on the mood, the room, bass being played, the band played with, etc

i usually like a combo of sizes if i can get away with it. - as for 15s, i still think the small bagend 15 (with or without the coaxial horn) is one of the finest 15s on the market

20. I second the 10's and 12's together.
    I run a 4x10 ampeg cab with a 2x12 swr cab on top of it with an old SVT head and I can find nothing missing in my tone especially when comparing to other setups.