which speakers r safe for my amp head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mdow, May 12, 2001.

1. mdow

May 12, 2001
    Hi guys, I have recently bought a used Jansen Crusader 440,with two 220W channels, and it has a switch for stereo, bi amp, or twin. Can i safely run a Peavey 350W RMS 4x10 quad box through this?

The outputs in the back are XLR pins i think, (they are the same as mike cables), is it ok to buy some XLR to guitar jack cables to connect my speaker once i have bought it?

Could some one also explain to me or point me to an explanation of linking the speakers in paralell vs in series?

Thanks a mill.
  2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    No, it's not safe. Not very intelligent either, it's like using a guitar cable because you don't have an amp cable handy.
  3. You should check if the bridged (I assume you want to use this mode) load capacity of the amp is equal to or lower than the speaker cab's. For example amp 4 ohms, cab 4 or 8 ohms. Amp 8 ohms, cab 8 or 16 ohms.

Furthermore, you can connect the speaker with a cable with an XLR on one end and a 1/4 inch jack on the other, however, you have to be really, positively, exactly sure it's a speaker cable! A music store can advise you about this. A signal cable will not do the trick!

My 2 cents.