which squier bass should i buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akashddoshi, Feb 21, 2010.

1. akashddoshi

akashddoshi

Dec 21, 2009
    hey which bass should i buy ?
    Im confused between :
    1)Squier vintage modified jazz bass
    Or
    2)Squier vintage modified precision bass
    It's gonna be my 2nd bass and i mostly play heavy metal , trash metal , metalcore and lil of rock
    So plz help

2. Considering the type of music you play, a precision would probably fit your style better.

3. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass, is amazing. I played one yesterday and it was inscredible. Read the reviews on Musician's Friend.com

4. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    Either instrument will work with whatever style of music you play. It depends if you want a tight, punchy sound; or a fat, growly sound. I have showed up to gigs with the same band(s) with either my P-bass, or my Jazz, on different occasions, and I've never had anyone say that either instrument didn't fit the music. Try them both and see what you like best.

5. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I bought the squire bass that cost $199 and it sounds great and plays as good as my $500 Jazz Bass. :cool:

6. akashddoshi

akashddoshi

Dec 21, 2009
    Ive heard that jazz bass can sound like p bass but p bass can't sound like jazz bass
    Is it true?
    And also jazz bass has a thinner neck, so it's better for fast playing
    So im planning to buy a jazz bass but i really like the shape and colour of the squier vintage modified precision bass

7. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    j will never sound like P.

get the P bass and then buy a great J bass when you can afford it.

8. just try both of them and buy whichever you like.

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Which neck profile do you prefer? And which sound do you prefer. Hopefully one will have both preferances. If not, you should go for a bass that has the type of neck profile you prefer along with the pup style voiceing you prefer instead. Imo

10. p bass

11. davkane

davkane

Jul 27, 2007
    Chicago
    It is all a matter of preference, and your preference will change and then you will get G.A.S.

Try them both at the same time. You will know which one will fit you better

12. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    P bass...but check out the Squier Classic Vibe series as well...imho they are a step up from the VM series (which I also like) The 60s P from the CV is a great little bass...

13. ive played both and liked the Jazz better, and i'm a p-bass kinda guy.

14. I would pick the one that offers a contrasting sound to your other bass. This will expand your sonic capabilities. Not knowing what you already have, I cant help you.

15. akashddoshi

akashddoshi

Dec 21, 2009
    I have a grason 4 string bass (it has a thin neck)
    It's an indian company which makes cheap bass guitars
    It's only 3 months since im playing and nw i want a new bass
    So im planning to buy squier vm bass

16. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    IMO the Classic Vibe series are much better, when I say much I mean... way better. Check out the 60s J and P basses.

17. bamba22

bamba22 Commercial User

Dec 24, 2009
    owner of beginner-bass-guitar.com
    I will go for the jazz bass

18. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    bingo...they are just plain better....the finishes and necks are significantly better to my eyes/hands...I like both (and have owned and gigged with both) but the CVs win out

19. AgIdoc

AgIdoc

Nov 17, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    i sold (traded, actually) my VM jazz & i absolutely LOVED that bass. i'm toying around with buying another one. GREAT bass.

but: a P-bass does in theory & IMO "fit" a little better with the music styles you just listed.

20. It doesn't really matter which one you pick. The band Botch's bass player uses a Jazz, the band Converge's bass player uses a Precision. They are both super heavy bands so the choice is really up to what you feel comfortable playing. I own a P bass and while I do like it, my Jazz is way more comfortable to play.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021