1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Squier Jazz bass would you pick?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MakoMan, May 19, 2012.

1. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Really gassing for a Squier Jazz bass but there are so many to choose from. Right now I am leaning to an Affinity IV or maybe even a V, but the Deluxe Actives are also strong contenders. I played a Deluxe Active IV today and it was awesome, but felt a bit heavy for my taste. Have not had a chance to try an Affinity yet.
    Have also heard great things about the Vintage Modified Jazz and Classic Vibe. Your opinions please. Also if there is one model that is significantly lighter than the others please let me know. I am used to my two short scales and Fender MB-5, all of which fall into the 7lbs and change scale and would love if my new bass was equally back friendly.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

2. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    you have to play them, and pick , or at least do your homework and if you buy it used there is a pretty good chance you can sell it for what you paid for it should you find something you dont like ... if you opt for the Affinity, they are all over for $100 range ... I have owned all the J's but the Active IV and the 5 string versions, and some of the P's also ... still have several, and I cant imagine you will be finding any Squier Jazz sub 8 lbs, and the lightest you will probably find will be the VM Fretless Jazz ... I have a couple Squiers near 8 lbs, but that is kind of a rarity with Squier J's, most will be over 9 at least ... a P will be slightly lighter than a J generally.. do a search on here, or even in my posts, as I have compared a VM and CV J side by side some time back .. lots of info available on all models in search I am sure ...

3. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

Oct 16, 2011
    Personally, I don't like the Affinity series. I briefly demoed a VM Jazz and I thought it was nice. Seemed to weigh about the same as my MIM Jazz.

4. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I have not tried the Affinity series, but I have the VM Jazz (fretless) and wouldn't mind a fretted version of the same bass, if only the made them in white!!

5. Vintage Modified Jazz Natural/Maple would be my choice. I've got a Deluxe Jazz V 5 string, and it weighs a lot compared to my other basses.

Liam

6. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    If you prefer a 4 string passive bass I would tell you to buy a CV Jazz like I play. It's the top of the line Squier Bass and frankly the Squier Basses are the top of the line period as far as any of those instruments are concerned. I also play a CVC Tele so it's based on more than just what I've read.

You won't find much difference between an MIA Standard and a CV it terms of tonality or playability. Certainly not enough to justify a $1000 difference in their price tags. If the MIA was all that much better and the CV just plainly unacceptable I wouldn't be playing it. They're not identical in quality and features but they're close.

The VM line offers some models which are not available in the CV Series including a 5 string, a Fretless and a 70's style Funk Style JBass. So you may find more of what you're looking for there. The quality is not quite as good as the CV's but still quite good. And that's where I'd stop.

I would not buy or play an Affinity. I did a setup and neck angle adjustment on a friends last week and even with significant mods I just don't see it as much more than a beginners bass. There's really so little price difference between these lines, $100-$150 or so, that getting a higher end model makes sense. You're not going from a $350 instrument to a $1300 instrument. More like $200 to $350 to go from an Affinity to a CV. It's well worth the difference in price. JMHO.

7. FenderBassist

FenderBassist

Oct 28, 2005
    Strongly agree.

8. iJazz

iJazz

Jan 9, 2012
    Sussex, WI
    My Classic Vibe 60's Jazz is "The Bomb"! The action is excellent as is the sound.

iJazz

9. wyattharris

wyattharris

Mar 23, 2011
    Id go VM 70's jazz bro. I've played a whole bunch of Fender Jazzes and the VM's tone blows them out of the water.

10. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    You make a very valid point and one I had considered. I'll definitely have to try out the CV and VM series before making a decision... they certainly do get a lot of love. I was mainly leaning to the Affinitys because this whole plan was to just try a basic 4 string to see if I liked the 34" scale. I'm pretty happy with my current 3 basses... a VM Jag SS, Gretsch G2202 Jr Jet and the Fender MB-5. However I am planning on buying a nice bass by the end of the year and there is so much more selection in 34" 4s than there is in either 5s or short scales that I thought I should throw a regular bass into the mix while I ponder my ultimate decision. The CVs and VMs were on the list as potentially my A bass, while if I bought an affinity now and liked the scale, it would most likely end up being the backup to whatever I buy at Christmas :D
    I'll have to give this some more thought LOL!

11. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks everyone for the info. The VMs and CVs seem to be very popular and I will give them a whirl for sure. Bit hard to try all the Squier basses in this area, as most of the stores only carry a few of the models in stock. Looks like I will have to visit quite a few shops to be able to try out everything.

12. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

Feb 3, 2012
    S/E Michigan
    what's wrong with buying a "real" fender?
    :confused:
    isn't the squire just a cheap copy flooding the marketplace with a low cost, foreign made, imitation of the real thing?

13. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Pretty simple. Right now I can't afford a 'real' Fender :D
    You make an interesting, if somewhat closed-minded, point about 'foreign made' basses. I'm in Canada though, so that pretty much means I would be limited to Godin basses.
    I like to think that some of the money made from Squiers goes back into the coffers of an historic American company. Plus if you follow the logic of brand loyalty, many of those who start on 'cheap copy' Squiers eventually end up being the purchasers of new American-made Fenders. Without Squiers to sell as introductory basses, would Fender still be making and selling as many American-made Fenders as it does today? Somehow I doubt it.
    Whatever choice I make however will undoubtably purchased from my local mom and pop store, thereby contributing to the local, Canadian and North American economies. Sorry man, but it's the best I can do right now LOL!

14. Wannaflea

Wannaflea

Jun 7, 2011
    Jersey, CI
    In short, no.

Squier have offered, and offer, completely different basses to Fender.

Cheaper? Yes. Always far worse? Not at all. While they're never going to be as good as a Custom Shop bass (why should they be for a tenth of the price!), Squier, especially CV, VM and Deluxe lines are bringing out some fantastic basses. I invite you to try them out, let them change your mind.

And I don't know how you define 'foreign made', but maybe the MIM and MIJ lines could be classed 'foreign'? :eyebrow:

OP, do you prefer Satin necks or Gloss? Active or Passive? Vintage fretwire to regular?

15. Well all I can tell you is that I chose the Vintage Modified and am very happy with it . Looks great, plays great, sounds great.
    Here's a pic showing it with some added bling (all the mods I found to be "needed" to give it a little more authentic 70's look.)

Jcovers.jpg

16. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    So over here in Europe, should we say that a "real" Fender is an expensive copy, flooding the marketplace with a high cost, foreign made, imitation of a Sandberg (for example)??
    :confused:

17. While I agree with your reason to argue with that other poster's closed minded argument... Fender existed a lot earlier than Sandberg, so not even comparable.

18. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    Honestly... and I feel bad about this... but I really can't say. I've only been playing bass for six months and my experience with different basses is very limited. All of my current basses are passive and all things being equal I would probably prefer a passive bass to an active one, if only for the simplicity. I really haven't played enough active basses to tell.
    What I do know is the thinner Jazz necks on the 34" scale basses definitely feel more comfortable and easier to play. I also find maple fretboards a bit 'colder', but again I'd have to spend some time on one to really form a true opinion. Who knows, in time I might love them. Right now though that probably eliminates the VM Jazz with the maple body and solid maple neck and fretboard, even though I love everything else about that bass (at least visually). I have no issues with Rosewood fretboards or the Ebanol fretboard that was on the Active IV I played yesterday.
    The more I search through the Fender website, the more I think I am going to have to try out a VM Jazz bass in sunburst. It has the thin neck, rosewood fretboard and even my preferred color of Sunburst with a tortoise pickguard. And it's only 100 bucks more than the Affinity. I'd almost pay that for the pickguard :D

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0326600500

19. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    True!! Sorry, but I just get a bit frustrated when things are blamed on it being "foreign made"!! Nothing is made in Spain, well nothing worth buying! :D

20. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    And just to add to Fender/Squier issue...

I wanted a P/J with a Jazz neck, and the only one that I could find without a mortgage was a Squier, so Fender was out of the question (nothing against Fender at all!)