1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Which stainless steel strings should I put on my Yamaha TRBX304

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sean775, May 13, 2016.

1. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    I don't know much about steels, so I'm looking for a reccomendation. I'd prefer something that would be considered "medium-bright", if that's possible for stainless steels. In other words, I don't want anything super bright, but I still want something brighter than DAddario Nickel XL

2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    How about DR Hi-Beam ?

3. DR SS Lo-Riders = not too zingy, but still clear and punchy. Stiffer than the Hi-Beams (recommended above) due to hex core.

4. D'addario Pro steels are obnoxiously bright, with horribly uneven tension in prepackaged set and no mids. IME.

GHS super steels are very bright, pretty even as far as tension and tonality go with the Contact Core version being slightly brighter.

Dean Markley Blue Steels are among the least bright of the steels I've tried, as well as being my favorite steels.

Rotosound steels aren't near as bright as most other steels but have a very distinctive sound to them.

No experience with DR Steels.

5. Bassnomer

Bassnomer Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    Recently picked up some Dunlop Marcus Miller Superbrights and I think they sound really, really nice. I don't find them to be overly bright, either. And that's coming from a guy who mainly uses flats. They've got a very deep low end, too!

6. Yes, my favorite SS roundwound also. They last a long time for me also.

7. Sean775

Sean775

Mar 19, 2015
    New Jersey, USA
    Ok I bought DR Hi-Beams and I love them. They weren't going to be my first choice, but out of the reccomend strings you guys posted, they were the only ones in stock. I guess that was lucky for me.

8. Bassnomer

Bassnomer Supporting Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Lakewood, CA
    Glad to hear it!!

9. TimB 619

TimB 619 Guest

May 28, 2010
    Ken Smith Master series. Also like DR low riders.

10. Kalium stainless.

11. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    It's not steel, but you might consider GHS Progressives.

12. I was going to recommend these, but everyone was so specific with stainless being the material....

13. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    These are the only SS strings I’ve ever used (got them by accident somehow, wanted Nickles) but I have to say they sound great.

I’ve got them on a Yamaha BB415 (PJ) and they sound good in any pickup position.

14. Loving the Elixirs on my Ric. Last forever too.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021