Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which standalone Epifani for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am currently running 2 GS112's and I no longer need that kind of power as I have given up my 5 strings. I also have a bad case of GAS and am always open to try something new. I really have enjoyed my GS112's a great deal and I may miss the sheer volume.

I play a Modulus VJ4 and an Azola BugBass II, I am currently running an iamp 350 as my amp. I want something that is versatile for many styles and types of music. I would like a standalone cab that will handle both basses well and allow me to hear each bass' distinct tone/timbre. I would like something to pair well with the iamp, but I am open to other amps also; it will just have to be able to give me good volume and clarity in small to medium venues (with PA support).

What do you guys recommend? T210? T112? Please defend your reccomendations with a good explanation! Thanks so much!

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I'd say the T112 is going to get much more of a GS112-ish sound than the T210. If you loved the GS112's, you'll dig the T112. It will be markedly less fat than the pair however...

3. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I play both the 2x10 and the 1x12.

If you're going for a stand-alone, I'm more apt to recommend the 2x10. It certainly won't have the low end of the 2x12 setup you're used to but it'll definitely have the clarity you're looking for.

It does pump out lows but it's just different from the sheer impact of larger drivers. The 2x10 strikes me as being tuned perfectly for a 4 string.

If it means anything, I raise my 2x10 off of the floor at every gig to reduce acoustic coupling and I cut the lowest bass frequencies far more often than I boost them - as a matter of fact I very rarely boost them...I can't even remember the last time I did.

A good way to test whether or not you can get by w/ a single driver cab (the 1x12) is to gig w/ just one Aguilar for a little while and see how that goes.

4. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    A single Aguilar is in no way comparable to a single Epifani.

5. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    It's a much closer comparison than than a pair of Aguilar 1x12's vs. a single Epifani 1x12. ;)

I hear ya' though.

I was referring more to whether or not he could get away w/a single driver cab for all of his gigs... If he can do it w/ one Aguilar then he'll be able to w/ one Epifani.

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yeah, I hear ya - that's true.

Lately i've been becoming more and more impressed with the single-cab ability of the EA speakers. They're much deeper than either the Epifani or Aguilar, and smoother too. Still a little hi-fi for my taste, but for a combination of portability and amount of sound, i'm seriously impressed.

7. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I haven't tried the EA's yet. They do sound tempting.

I agree that a hi-fi sound can seem sterile but I also think that that in a room full of people or 50-100 feet from the stage that the fidelity really makes a difference between definition and mud or between articulation and boom.

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I wouldn't have agreed a few years back, but i'm becoming a believer. It's really nice to hear the differences between the basses and finger positions, attack, etc. Losing that overwhelming boom seems to make the bass fit better with the mix too - instead of outside of it.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the 1x12.

much fatter, and bolder sounding. not as punchie, but the 1x12's cutting tone will impress you. NOTHING like the aggies, which sound burying and muffled in comparison.

the 2x10s are a great cab, too, but IMHO, just doesnt sound as well rounded and full as the 1x12, which sounds and feels more like a "standalone" cab.

FYI,

as soon as NAMM is over, and Nick and gents get back, i'm heading over to the shop to pick up my Ultralite 500 head, and accompanying 1x12 ultralite pair.

it'll be a good day in Joker land. :bassist:

10. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    And how many rigs will you have then?!!

Alex

11. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I agree. I switched from a single GS112 to an EA CXL112 and am able to function in much higher volume situations with just the single cab.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you really only want one Epifani cab, between the T-112 and the T-210UL, I preferred the T-112. It was the best of the single Epi cabs that I heard. The T-110UL sounded the best at very low levels, but it quickly became apparent that it couldn't compete at all with the T-112 in low end. However, then I tried the T-112 with the T-110UL, and it was magical! Those two cabs together sound light years better than either one alone, in my opinion, at least. And it's not like it's very hard to carry around that "extra" T-110UL!

I also agree that EA cabs are phenomenal, as are Accugroove. Along with Epifani, those are my three fave brands, and I keep going back and forth as to which is my favorite. I have reached the conclusion that I like them all, which may explain why I own so darn many cabs...

Later, Tom.

13. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Likewise, the EA CXL112L and VL110 sound REALLY good together. Diggin the 12/10 combo!

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Nice!

15. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Man it's threads like these that really confuse the heck out of me in terms of what I should do for my modular rig. I wanted to stay away from EA but now Vanselus is saying they put out more lows than the Epi's...

Who to go with?? What to go with?? :confused:

16. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    If you're looking for tone, then IMHO, the Epi's are the only way to go. lows or not, i doubt the EA puts that much more low end than an Epi cab of similar ilk. punchier, the EA, oohhh yea... but more? hmm...

the EA's are great, but IMHO, honestly, my ears would rather hear 2 hrs. of gigging time from an Epi cab. :p

and alex, one too many.. :bassist: but not nearly enough to successfully use parts of one's rigs for PA duty, and still have enough left over for his own onstage rig!!!

*ahem, TomB* ;) :cool:

17. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    That's true! You guys make me feel like such a minimalist - two basses, one preamp, one power amp and two identical cabs (we won't mention the pedals!).

Alex

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, now that one of my bands is doing Big Bottom, by Spinal Tap, I can put forth at least a weak argument that I truly need enough bass cabs for PA duty, plus three bass rigs!!! :D :p

Going back and re-reading this statement:

I would be inclined to say that EA and Accugroove (and perhaps ACME) will hit that nail more squarely on the head than Epifani. In fact, when I was bought my T-112/T-110UL, I was torn between the two Epis or one Accugroove Mini Whappo, I could really tell that the Accugroove was less colored and allowed each instrument's individual tone/timbre/character to shine through. The Epis did, too, to a certain extent, but the always sounded like Epifani cabs. With the Mini Whappo, it sounded more like "Hey, there's the sound of my Thunderbird!" and "Wow, I really do like those Bartolini's with the OBP-1!" With the Whappo, Jr., it also allows the individual character to shine through, but you know you are listening to the Whappo, Jr., because no other cab that I own has such thick, deep low end. But other than that, it is very neutral. Mark's new Tri 210L sounds like it might be exactly what you are looking for.

Most of my EA cabs are the older VL-series, which I personally prefer. The VL-208 will totally let your basses' tone/timbre shine through, but one VL-208 is not real satisfying in the low end, particularly on a 5-string, if you play it even moderately loud. The VL-210 will have tons of booty, but to me, it doesn't open up in the mids until you start pushing it. The VL-310 (or CX-310 - same thing) sounds great from low volume up through high, and is a very competent one cab rig. But, it is somewhat heavy, and does present a 5.3 Ohm load, which may or may not be an issue.

So, there were some reasons NOT to buy Epifani. But let me also say that even though Epi cabs will retain some of their own flavor with all of your instruments, they are very musical and pleasing to the ear. It's just that they aren't as uncolored as EA or Accugroove. Epi does have the sweetest tweeters that I have heard, though. Obviously, I like my Epi cabs enough that I haven't gotten rid of them (and in fact, picked up a second T-112), even with my EA and Accugroove cabs.

Have fun!

Tom.

19. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have been using an Epifani T-112 as a stand alone for the past couple of years. Works well for me in small and medium size rooms, with non-bashing-style drummers. I have a second one that I only use outdoors.

I had a pair of Bergantino 112s that I used for a while, that's a great rig, but I like the tone of the Epifani just a bit better. And one Berg 112 didn't really do it for me.

Bring a lot of amp if you use just one Epifani 112. IMHO you want at least 400 watts at 8 ohms. I use a Stewart World 1.2 or a GK1001RB-II.

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That's a good point about power, bben. I have found that the T-112 will really take a lot of power, and it responds well to tons of headroom. I played a gig using two T-112's powered by my PLX 3002 in bridged mono (3,000w), and they loved it. Gobs of tight, clean low end. On the flip side, the tone of the T-112 at lower volumes is perhaps a bit more musical with my Walkabout. Tonally, the Walkabout into a T-112/T-110UL is a great combination, and it will get fairly loud. However, if I try to use this combo on stages/venues where I have to be louder than its comfortable range, the T-112 definitely does not respond well to be pushed hard by an underpowered amp. The low end got all loose and floppy on me when I tried to slam the Walkabout as loud as it would go (or close to it). Sure, many speakers will tend to sound cruddy when you are totally out of headroom, but the low end on the T-112's, in particular, suffers under such conditions.

That T-112 really is a nice box, and if you're going to play it loud, then bring some watts to the party.

Tom.