1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which steel rounds are mid heavy?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Jan 4, 2007.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    The low and high mids...other than rotosound swingbass, whats the next most mid aggresive string out there

2. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    La Bella, Sadowsky, and Ken Smith to a lesser degree. Not Pro Steels IME.

Dave

3. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    how bout dr lo riders n hibeams?

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    DR Hi Beams are little scoopy... Havent tried any Lo Beams, yet.

I was hoping this thread would get some solid replies, as I'm a Hi Beam fan... But, was looking for something that felt like Hi Beams, but w/ more mids.

5. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    I'd say DR SS Lo-Riders.

They have the foward mids of Rotosound's Swingbass but with better lows, longer life, better feel and they don't eat your frets as the Roto's.

6. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    I think Fat Beams were supposed to add a bit of mids, i read that in a review. i like Lo-Riders

7. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    lo riders have no forward mids. no way. they are the most scooped strings i have played so far.and they die rather quickly, in fact.

fatbeams are a possible choice, though. i like their cutting midrange.

8. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    Well, in my experience, all the DR strings that I've tried have had a longest life than other manufacturer's strings with the exception of MTD strings.

As for the lo-riders, I recommended them because the OP was looking for the aggressiveness of the Rotosound's and again, in my experience those are the strings that comes the closest to that sound. I'm talking about the SS, not the nickel lo-riders.

The fat beams also have great mids but to my ears they are not as agressive as the lo-riders.

I think that both of those sets would be worth to try. It's hard to go wrong with DR's.

Finally, please remember that everything we say on talk bass is our personnal opinion. Everyone has different ears, equipment, body chemistry, etc...so we're saying stuff from our experience....not...facts!

9. The most mid present SS roundwounds I've ever played are the Lakland SS's... tight tension, and a very forward upper mid presence.... bright (like any SS roundwound), but not nearly like the Hi Beams, for example.

The next closest to me on the 'mid punch' spectrum are the Sadowsky SS.

I don't hear the Smith's or Fodera strings mentioned above as mid present at all... more 'even and somewhat mellow'... closer to some other brand's Nickel strings in tone to me.

10. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I decided to give some DR SS Lo Beams a try, as they were available locally... I expected to notice a substantial difference in stiffness, from the Hi Beams... But I didnt. Great tension however, they detune to D & introduce NO flop at all. Nice bounce off the FB for slap, too.

Tonally, This is obviously a little more subjective, but for now I think they're filling the bill. They arent as scoopy as the Hi Beams, but, are a little more zingy... but, not excessively so.

I wanted these, for my Warmoth PJ... Korina Body, Wenge/Ebony neck, Bart PJ set, w/ an NTBT preamp... So, I have no way of introducing mids on my own, & the wood combination tonally, is big on the top & bottom.

11. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Ken Smiths to a point and La Bella Hard Rockin' Steels (but in a good way). I love the midrange texture of the HRS.

12. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC