Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which String Is Best For?...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Manol, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Basically on my Geddy I want a tone that is:

Growly
    Tight Bottom End
    Thump as well
    Good for slap and pop.
    And can also give a good rock sound.

Now I am a huge fan of DR's and I am not sure what the difference is between Steel and Nickle strings.

It sounds like the DR Lowriders or Sunbeams are for me? But what about the Fatbeams?

Thanks
    Manol

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Knucklehead "Chunky" Bass strings. The Gauges are .050 .070 .095 .110
    I just put them on my Geddy and they sound SWEET!!!

3. Manol

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Unfortunately, we only have the big brands here in Australia :meh:

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    What's wrong with what's on them? I just got mine, and of course I'm crazy about the bass. As for strings, I usually try to replace with Fender Super Bass like what's on them from the factory. The only reason I don't, is because GC is always out of the Fenders. Personally if GC is out of Fenders everytime I go in there for the last 6 months, I think they are not ordering Fender strings - maybe the markup is not as high. So, I use RotoSounds, and those are fine - I'm kind of a "long shiny ones will due" guy.

Skel

5. Manol

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Problem is, I sweat through my hands alot and through shop use/my heavy use, they are a bit dead. And I need some for a gig in the next week.

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I see - you might want to just buy a bottle of string cleaner, or I'm sure somebody else will see this post, because I think it's just isopropyl alcohol. Just clean the strings. I've also "heard" you can take them off and boil them in water for 30 seconds or so. Or, just buy Fenders to get you through the gig until we can al figure out what you have down under that would work the best.

Skel

7. Manol

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well basically we got all the brands except for the boutique brands.

8. What kind of Bass?. I was using Ernie Ball Super Slinky Nickel 45 -105 on my Squire P Bass. I thought it sounded OK, but the mid tones sounded dull with all the controls mid level on the amp and Bass. I tried other strings and feel the DR Stainless Hi beam 45 -105 gave me the tone I was looking for. My friend thinks the bass sounds better than his Fender P.

9. Manol

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Geddy Lee Signiture.

10. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I wouldn't recommend using isopropyl alcohol, as it's mixed with water which can cause your strings to rust. Same goes for boiling strings.

I'd go for some Denatured Alcohol if you want to clean your strings. Let your strings soak in the DA overnight, and then wipe them down with a lint-free cloth. They'll be good as new.

Somebody made a website with directions that explain how to make a "String Cleaning Tube" using PVC pipes. I followed the plan and have had great results. Does anyone have the link?

11. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Rotosound Swing 66's

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man

I'm a Rotosound player through and through!

13. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA

http://www.tunemybass.com/strings/bass_string_cleaning_tube.html

Haven't tried this yet. I'm wondering how it will work as the Ken Smith's I use have silk ends...

14. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Another vote for Rotosound Swing Bass strings.
    They eat your frets and go dead rather fast (but the denatured alcohol trick might help with the latter) but nothing else has that rock crunch, IMHO. Seems like a natural match for that bass.

15. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I just tried this with some silk-ended strings. They're a bit messy, with some little hairs coming off, but they're still relatively intact.

Then again, I've taken off and put on these strings about 4-5 times, so that's probably what did it.