1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which string would stop clicking sound on shortscale bass ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by srj, May 15, 2011.

1. I recently bought a ibanez mikro bass ,, it came with round wound strings , after playing for a while i kept hearing a clicking / clanking as the strings banged off the frets , i rose the strings as i high as i could but there is still alot of clicking.

So i had some GHS flatwound strings and thought these would solve the problem so i put them on , but they were actually worse !

Yes i know i can EQ this out mostly but then i feel the sound is very muddy.

I am going to lower the pickups i feel they are too high anyway.

Is there any strings that elimate this clicking ??

Any help is appreciated

Sean

2. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    I put a set of D'Addario half rounds on my short scale today and they are nickel plated which are not as "tinny" as stainless strings. I did get the sounds you spoke to with the round wounds that were on it previously, but that is gone now with the .45" to .100" half rounds.

I recommend you get a set of these for your short scale.

3. Thanks Aussie Player
    will check them out when i get a chance.

4. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    I did a search on this a while ago and the overwhelming opinion is that it is a technique issue. try changing your right hand attack to be more parallel with the fretboard, less into it.

It worked for me to a point. I have also started using hex-core strings for higher tension. DR Lo=Riders are great.

No offense intended and good luck!

5. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Dont forget about a good setup. If you bought the bass from a music store, they should've done an initial setup for you. If you bought it privately or from a pawn shop then no such luck.

But if a change in strings and technique dont clean things up, get it to your local store and have it properly set up.

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    +1

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Larger gauges will help solve the issue by increasing the tension lost with the shorter scale. Unfortunately, finding a .110 or .115 in a short scale is atrociously difficult.

After a good setup, technique adjustment is really all you have.

8. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    What is the neck relief set at? You can raise your saddles all the way up and it will still rattle if you do not have the proper relief. I own four short scale basses and none of them rattle.

9. Rotosound trubass coated strings!