1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which strings are best for this situation?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SwagAttack, Jul 19, 2012.

1. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    I am at college and have my ampeg ba 108 with me along with my fender jag. The strings are very old dr's that have the tone sucked out of them. I only play through my headphones in my room at school, and I basically keep the jag here until I go home. I was wondering, I want strings that sound good through headphones, are bright and last a long time. The tone staying for a long time is what I am most concerned for over everything else. I have played dr's, dunlop, and ernie balls. Dr's for me seem to die first. I do not have a cast knowledge on strings, so help is appreciated in pointing me in the right direction.

2. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    If longevity is the most important thing, I suggest Elixirs or DR Black Beauties.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    What he said.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Your sound thru headphones should be your ready for recording nand house Pa sound. That said, whatever strings you like best. For bright tone, steal roundwounds generally. Coated strings in my experience do n ot last twice as long as uncoated, so the extra cost may not work out in the long run for some. Rotosound and Daddario would be two you havent tried for steel rounds with good bright tone and good life to me.

5. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Over the years, I've tried many different roundwound strings. I haven't tried most of the strings in the upper price range. I just can't justify it to my wallet. I play hard and like a bright tone. And, I'm pretty rough on my strings, so I change them rather frequently. When I'm playing a lot, I really eat some strings up. To me, it feels like stainless strings get a sticky feeling to them. I also think they chewed up the nickel frets on the bass that was my main player when I was using them. But, it's an older used bass, so it's possible that the fret wear was a pre-existing condition. For more than 20 years now, D'Addario 160's have been my go to string for several reasons. I love the piano-ish tone - nice and bright, yet deep and full. They are available pretty much anywhere. They are affordable - but you can't beat the prices at bassstringsonline.com, period. They are consistent - always sound the same, never had one break. They're fairly durable - had a different set of strings go dead in less than a week. For those reasons, I am sold on D'Addario nickel rounds.

6. Deaky

Deaky

Oct 24, 2006
    Fender 9050cl flatwound strings are nice and bright.

7. ahsbass6

ahsbass6

Apr 13, 2004
    Daddario Chromes... though I change mine often.