Which Strings Are Best?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Braindead302, Jan 5, 2001.

1. Braindead302

Jan 5, 2001

I'm new to this Forum, I just came across it. Well, I've been playing bass for about 6 months now, I am quite good, I practise for about an hour and a half a day.

Here is my question. I play a Memphis 4 String. (The Same one the dude in Everclear now plays I think). Well, I was wondering what the best strings I could get were, for a reasonable price too. Any suggestions?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Check out other threads in this forum which have string and string dealer info ad naseum already. You'll have more input than you'll know what to do with.
  3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Like everything, string choice and which is best is completely relative. I prefer the tone of Carvin's strings. Some might think I'm nuts. EB's aren't bad. D'adarrio's are ok. I hate GHS, Rotosound, DR, Fender, and others I can't think of at the moment. It just takes a while to develop an ear and preference for tone and character. Expirement in the mean time and you'll eventually find something you like.
  4. I've tried XLs, Prisms, Lowriders, Hibeams, boomers, SR2000s, Rotos, Hard Rocking Steels, La Bella tapewounds, D'Addario groundwounds, Pressurewounds, R. Cocco's, Maximas, SIT's, Fenders, Blue Steels, Superwounds, Snarling Dogs, Darcos,Rickenbackers, Trace Elliot, Peavey, Warwick Black Labels, Roto Tapes, and many others I've forgotten about. I've played 4,5,6, fretless, EUB, you name it. This is my pick, in order of preference;
    1: Slowounds,
    2: Ernie Balls,
    3: XLs, Cocco's, Warwick Blacks.
    To be fair, I have'nt had the opportunity to try Elixirs or Thomastiks, as neither of these are available in my country.
    Does anyone know if Cocco's are still being made? The supply dried up here a few years ago.
    The worst strings I've ever played? Fender!
  5. I like Ken Smiths. They have a good lifespan (for me anyway), and are reasonably priced.
  6. i think the everclear guy still plays G&L. what a waste of a great bass.
  7. I actually like Charlie Stinger Subwoofer Snarling Dogs. I just put them on couple of days ago, they are nickel I think. They sound really nice, 'specially for slapping.
  8. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Subwoof! <font size=3> SUBWOOF! </font> :p:D
    (that particular set is nickel ;) )
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    D'Addario Slowounds. I can never remember whether there's one or two "w's" in that word.
  10. CjPhishPhan

Mar 14, 2000
    Well ok so I am a Moron. I accidentally hit the New Thread instead of the Post Reply button. So if you look under SLOWOUND, you can find my response. But Slowounds are good