1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Strings are better? FENDER Pure Nickel, Elixir Bass Nanoweb or Dean Markley Blue Steel?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HazyMan, Mar 30, 2018.

1. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    What is your opinion on each of these string brands? Which are brighter and which last longer? I want to find the perfect strings for me but i need loads of research in order to be sure. I'll really appreciate it if you reply to this thread, thanks for reading!

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Only way to be sure is to get all 3 and decide for yourself. I'll say Jack Casady, my personal bass hero, prefers the Blue Steels, FWIW. They're the only ones of the 3 that I've tried, they're pretty good.

eriky4003 and HazyMan like this.
  3. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    Youre gonna find that is difficult to get a straight answer out of talkbass about strings because everyone's answers are so subjective. Your best bet is to Google the name of the string plus talkbass and see what others have said about them in the past. Below is an example I just did real quick. Welcome to talkbass! Screenshot_20180330-065815.png

4. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    well it's alright, but i've heard absolutely good things about the blue steels. anyway ill wait for more answers, it's alright

5. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I was implying that you read those older threads. You will find way more info there than waiting for responses here.

6. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    well ill try looking up, but ill wait for responses here too

7. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Elixir nano stainless steel round.

HazyMan likes this.
  8. TimB 619

TimB 619 Guest

May 28, 2010
    I've only tried the Fender 7150's. Nice strings, but if you want lighter than .045-.100, you won't get them.

HazyMan likes this.
  9. I like the Fender 7150s ( pure nickel ). They offer a very versatile array of tones. You can play anything with them. I use the 45-105 set and find them to be quite high tension and comfortable. They have quite a rough feel IMO ( similar to other RWs ) even though the prevailing school of thought is that nickel strings feel "smoother."

10. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    My alternative for 7150 is Ghs pressure wound 7200. Higher output, smoother string surface and better consistent string to string tone. Especially the E string.

michael_t likes this.
  11. I should also add that the GHS Pressurewounds are longer-lasting than any rounds I've tried, thanks to Alloy 52 (nickel-iron).

Also, if you're looking at the Fender 7150 for the pure nickel warmth, you should also look into the GHS Balanced Nickels. The light set (40-101) I'm using on my P right now are very comfortable to play on, not to mention they're very well-balanced both in tension and tone.

Yahboy likes this.
  12. The GHS Pressurewounds and Balanced Nickels I mentioned earlier are NOT the brightest strings around. If you're looking for something with a zingy top end, they're not for you.

Sorry to disappoint you, but there is no such thing as "perfect strings". ;)

13. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    Well with perfect strings i meant strings that will just last a decent amount of time. And yes, i am looking for a bright sound. I'm into metal and the dead string sound is one of the worst things ever in my opinion, thanks to lubricants and stuff my strings sound kinda better now i think, but the next time i buy new bass strings, i want them to be trully long lasting and bright. i've heard really good things about the blue steels

14. If you're into metal, I'd be looking into stainless steel strings. They offer the brightness and bump in the mids you'd need. SS strings also last a long time.

15. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    SS is Stainless Steel right? and thanks, but do you know which SS strings last the most? thanks for your recommendation

16. Yes. SS = stainless steel. D'Addario, GHS, La Bella all have good tone life IMO.

17. The Elixir will definetely last longer than Fender or Dean Markley, much much longer. Simply because of the technology used. I have Elixirs on one of my Jazz Basses for more than 10 years and they still sound "brighter" than many non-coated strings after 20 hours of playing.

18. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    Well that is unfortunate. They are really expensive and currently i'm looking into getting the Dean Markley ones, but i think i agree on the Elixir thing. Their strings are definitely long lasting

19. HazyMan

HazyMan

Feb 21, 2018
    Have you tried all of them? Which one impressed you more?

20. king koeller

king koeller

Apr 20, 2005
    Dayton, Ohio
    Fender 7150's are Pure Nickel for that vintage 1950's and 1960's tone. They are warm, phat, so musical and perfect for Motown, Jazz, blues, 1960's Surf rock, and original P-bass tones. You play metal, so you want a set of super bright strings made from stainless steel. Blue steel are frozen to sub zero temperatures which aligns the molecular particles . I would try out as many different strings until you find what is best for you and keep a notebook and write down info.

HazyMan likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021