1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which strings for a hollowbody bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mr sprocket, Jan 8, 2007.

1. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    I am getting ready to switch strings. I was thinking about flatwounds but need a tone a little more on the round side. I like the DR strings (been testing the Sunbeams lately). So I was thinking of all the alternative, half-round, ground-wound, pressure-wound, and coated.

I am leaning a little to coated stings like the Elixirs of DR Black Beauties. So I was wondering what other TBers used on thier hollow body basses.

2. I bought a Tanglewood unlined fretless electro-acoustic a while back. Long story, but the D'Ads as standard fitted were (IMHO) hopeless on that bass. In fact, the instrument spent more time back at the dealer than in my possession .... until the dealer fitted Picato stainless steel tape flats.

They cured the problem. And they also have a lovely, 'breathy' sound to them as your fingers slide over the strings: need the top turned up a bit to hear it, tho.

John

3. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    One my hollowbodies I've had good success with Fender flats, Lakeland flats and D'addario 1/2 rounds.

4. Madness

Madness

Jul 27, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Any idea what to use for a Short scale hollow?

5. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Which model? Sometimes a trapeze tailpiece can add length to the string. Also depends on what sound you are going for.

I was not really looking for that acoustic thump or Paul sound. I have some sunbeams on right now that are sounding pretty good broken in. I might try some pressure wounds next.

6. i've got a set of TI Super Alloys on my Lakland Hollowbody with Dark Stars. they settled in after a weeks or two and the tone is so big and warm AND defined. people say that the dark stars really like flatwounds, but i'm hesitant to switch out the SA's because the sound is so right on. i hear that SA's last along time, too, so the flatwound experiment might be on the very back burner.