Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which strings for chamber music

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Istar, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Hey Guys,

I hope you can help me. I have this very bright and clear sounding bass which I like very much, the problem is I mostly play chamber music and the bright sounds doesn’t really mix with the rest of the string orchestra. IMO the strings I use now (pirastro flatchrome steel) are to bright and "steely". So now I’m looking for some strings with a somewhat warmer sounds that blends a little better and sound good for chamber music and hopefully do let me play some Jazz ones in a while. I don’t really care if it’s not the perfect Jazz string as long as they at least sound a little. I already tried some Helicore orchestral strings but they just made my bass even brighter and had the opposite effect.

Any of you guys have an idea of what might be a good bass/string match ? Right now I`m open for all suggestions and / or hints you guys can give me

2. My teacher Always used Flexocors for chamber music. I bet eudoxas or Olivs would sound great too.

3. chipsas

chipsas

Feb 28, 2005
    Europe, Lithuania
    1+
    i agree, if you want dark metal strings - reg flexocors could be ok.. other choice is - jargar! for chamber music they are really nice and warm.
    if you want biger, deeper warm sound = oliv/eudoxa . but i don't recomend you oliv A and E though. i use oliv G,D/ eudoxa E, A my self at the moment, (eudoxa D i like even more though..)
    oliv's/eudoxa's, reg fexocor's and jargar's are the best bowable strings for dark warm sound.. as i know.

4. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Thanks for the info so far !

What Jargar strings are we talking about. I did some research about them and there some to be different kinds (labels)
    As far as the oliv/eudoxa strings are concerend I read somewhere that since they are gut they might be hard to blend with stell strings. Since I`m the sole double bass player it might not be a problem but I know that the cello section and I think all violins use steel strings. Anyone have any experience with this ?

5. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I just put on a stark Flexo E, with regular Flexo A, D, and G. I think that combo would work well for your needs. I previously had Dominant's on, and liked them, but am taking a stab at Flexo's for a little less bright of a string. They may be too "less-bright" for my needs, but it sounds like they'd work for you.

6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    There is only one Jargar bass string, but available in three gauges:
    Dolce (thin): green ends and packaging
    Medium: blue ends and packaging
    Forte (thick): red ends and packaging

7. chipsas

chipsas

Feb 28, 2005
    Europe, Lithuania
    they are wound gut..
    i play in chamber orchestra with them and have no problem..
    i like their fat and warm tone.

but.. i would recomend to try jargar's or reg flexocor's first.. they are not so expensive, and maybe these are the strings you are looking for..

8. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Any recommendations on what gauge for the jargars ?

9. I've only used the Dolces, They are similar in Gauge to the correlli 370's, you may like the mediums, they are fatter and have slightly more tension.

10. chipsas

chipsas

Feb 28, 2005
    Europe, Lithuania
    i've tried the dolces in chamber, and they were too light for me.. (they are for solo mostly),
    for chamber orchestra use mediums or fortes..

11. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I use the Fortes and they are very easy on the hands.

12. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Just came back from visiting my luthier. He lend me a full set of flexos and Jargars to try.
    I’ve put up the floxo`s first and so far I like the sound. The sound atm is somewhat similar to the sound I had but a little mellower ,not sure if warmer is the right word. I leave them on there for a while see how the sound develops. After that I’ll put on the jargars. They have green windings so they must be the dolce gauge :meh: (Or do all jargars have green windings ?) But he didn’t have any other Jargar`s for me to try. At least ill get an idea on the sound the have.

I’ll post my report when I’ve finished testing :)

13. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Did you read the post #6 in this same thread?

14. chipsas

chipsas

Feb 28, 2005
    Europe, Lithuania

what kind of flexo's they are? stark (thick), medium, or weich (thin)..?

15. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Yes I did , that’s why I assumed them to be dolces.
    But you said packaging and not winding and with packaging I though you meant the thing the strings come in.. which I don’t have. Therefore the subtle question if I was right assuming them to be dolces.

If you read my profile you’d notice I’m Dutch and as such my native language isn’t English so excuse me for any miss interpretations, but that’s the reason I might ask for the complete obvious.

16. Istar

Istar

Apr 5, 2005
    Antwerp, Belgium
    They are medium gauge flexo`s

17. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    You're right, my post was not complete.
    Both packaging and silk ends!
    :)
    I'll update the previous post.
    My native language is french!
    We share the same problem with the language! ;)

18. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I have played in a quintet a couple of times as well as some 8-20 piece ensembles with Chorus. I think first off the String you use for the smoother type sound for this also depends on the Bass, your bow and your playing. Sometimes you get different results depending on the equiptment. I have loud cannon type Basses, deep spreading Basses and two sweet smooth clear type Basses.

I don't use the cannons for anything less than a full orchestra. I have used my 3/4 English with Original Flat Chromes but I didn't like the G as much as a regular Flexocor. I also used my 5er with G, D Flex and A, E, B Perm. I like the top on that but the B string was a bit of work on the Trout. I also used this cut down Loveri I just got and it has Stark Flexs, the regular 92s. That seems to be my favorite now.

I guess with only one Bass and one or two Cellos you need to sound more like a deeper Cello and not over power the group. Also, if it's too metallic, it won't blend at all. I have tried Jaegers in the red/forte but it was in a full Orchestra with a big Bass. I think they would sound sweet as well with the right Bass and setting.

I also have a few Bows and choose the bow that makes that Bass work best for the music. If you have only one Bass and one bow, the only thing you can change it the string. My two choices are either Flexs or Jaegars in either thickness available.

19. chipsas

chipsas

Feb 28, 2005
    Europe, Lithuania

how is your E string? people say, that medium E is too floppy, no power.. etc.. and that only stark (thick) gauge fix this problem..

20. chipsas

chipsas

Feb 28, 2005
    Europe, Lithuania
    ... and that's why i like oliv/eudoxa strings so much.. :)