Which strings for Fender American Ultra Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TheRealGru, Feb 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. TheRealGru

TheRealGru Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    So I tried Fender original strings that came with the bass and liked them a bit. I had used D'addarios NYXLs for a while before on the Elite I sold, but I decided to look for something else.

Tried DR PureBlues - too boomy with EQs set flat.

Have DR Nickel Lo-Riders, D'addario NYXL and XLs in my possession. Not sure what to try next?

Looking for a nice fat lows, good midrange and smooth highs.

Where do you recommend I start? Thank you!

2. GHS Round Core Boomers.

3. TheRealGru

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I meant to say the ones I have in my possession are still unopened.

4. Nickel Lo-Riders. Not quite as fat and full as the RCBs, but good midrange and somewhat subdued top end. Not zingy bright.

BassBlue likes this.
  5. While I don't have a MIA "Ultra Jazz" my upgraded MIM Jazz 5 is similar, with Aguilar noiseless pickups and Audere ProZ preamp. I also have a passive Squire VM70's 4 string with Aguilar noiseless pickups and have tried a few sets of strings that you've tried, namely NYXL's and Pure Blues...

... But there is one other set of DR's that I think you should try: DR Sunbeams. They are nice and crisp when new, but mellow nicely, sound really nice both passive and active. I didn't like the NYXL's on my Jazz5 at all and I thought that the Pure Blues weren't quite was I was looking for. I did a gig Friday night with my Jazz5 with Sunbeams that are a few months old and they sounded great, both live and on a streamed recording that I got to hear. You might really like the Sunbeams. FWIW the gauge I have is 45-130 on the 5 and 45-105 on the 4.

How is the tone definition with those on the lower strings, particularly low B (for 5 string, of course)?

Nedmundo and BassBlue like this.
  6. TheRealGru

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Picked up a set of FatBeams as well. I'll test them in the next few weeks and report back.

7. TheRealGru

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I used to play Sunbeams back in the day but used Carvin LB75. Totally different bass. I might try these as well.

Hammerfield likes this.
  8. Funny you should ask about the Round Core Boomer low B...

No issue with either of the 4-string sets I've tried (45-100/45-105) in terms of clarity and definition. But I didn't care for the 126B on my Yamaha as it sounded a bit too "mushy" and undefined.

9. @BassBlue, is your Ultra Jazz 4-string or 5?

BassBlue likes this.
  10. TheRealGru

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    It's 4 strings.

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have these on a passive J-bass, and they are great. Nice thump and growl, but not muddy. I also like the flexibility of DR's round-core strings generally. I love Fat Beams too, which are my favorites on my G&L SB-2, but I haven't tried them on a J-bass.

I'll toss out another suggestion: Dean Markley SR2000. I have a set on my G&L M-2500, which of course isn't a four-string J-bass, but IMO they are fantastic. I think they're nicely balanced, with punch, warmth, and clarity across the strings. I recently bought a four-string set for my G&L JB, because I think they'll be great on a J. DR has been my favorite brand for years, but my M-2500 came with three sets of Dean Markleys (best case candy ever), and I've been mightily impressed with the Helix (discontinued) and these SR2000s.

12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    +1 GHS Round Core Bass Boomers are my choice for my jazz. A BIG plus is that they use balanced construction for more even string-to-string feel; volume, and tone. Balanced Nickels for a darker overall tone.

13. Tubehed

Tubehed

Oct 27, 2011
    Westminister, CA
    I really like Fat Beams on J bases, including the Ultra. The highs will mellow some after breaking in.

BassBlue likes this.