Which strings for me?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Foo-O-Matic, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Foo-O-Matic

Aug 10, 2004
    Hi.. first of all I've never bought strings (I bought my first bass 2 months ago and I was told it is recommended to get new strings).
    Ok so.. I really don't like bright or metallic highs! I like the highs smooth and mellow.
    about the lows - I really don't like them crispy or raspy, and I also don't like them dim or dull... something more punchy.
    about the mids - I like them focused, and with presence :) again not dull.
    ohh and I forgot to mention it's for fretted bass.
    So which strings do you recommend me? :)

btw the highs type I indicated above is really important!
  2. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I found I got a great growly and punchy low end from DR Lowriders. You might want to try those. Of course, everybody will have a different experience with strings, but that might be a good starting point for you.

Good luck,
  3. {OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    I'd go with nickel strings.

Smith, DR or Sadowsky would be my first choices, if those werent available/too expensive, I would go with Ernie Ball.

Use a string search of these brands + "nickel" for more info./ opinions about them. :cool:
  4. Foo-O-Matic

Aug 10, 2004
    Hi, I read some reviews and such and found the following cheap (but tending to be really good) nickel strings:
    by the company "Everly".
    what are your opinions about them? people on BGRA gave it really good reviews!

p.s. they have "hexagonal core", what does that mean?
  5. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I have been getting the tone you are looking for from D'addario EXL 160s. They are nickel wound and the gauges are .050-.105. I have them on an ash body P-bass with a maple board. Some of the tone you are looking for may depend on the bass's construction and pickup(s) height. I have my pickup lowered somewhat and I get that sort of tone you describe. YMMV.
  6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Ass-uming that you're current bass came with rounds (the brightest/noisiest strings) I suggest you try some halfrounds/groundwounds (same thing).

There are 3 basic string types:

roundwound-->brightest but also noisiest. Limited life span. lowest tension. most mids. bumpy surface. 95% of basses come stock with these.

half/groundwound-->inbetween rounds and flats

flats-->most mellow sounding. Least bright. Looooong lifespan. least noisy. highest tension. least mids. smooth surface.

These are the very general views of the 3 string types but there are exceptions to the above rules. For instance Thomasik-Infeld Jazz Flats, lower tension than some rounds and very middy.
  7. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I dig Ken Smith Burners nickel roundwounds myself for my 6-string. They're smooth-feeling, last a long time, and have a nice mellowness to the sound with good clarity. Not the crispest tone for slapping, though, but I'm not a slapper.

SIT Powerwounds are supposed to be good too. Quite a few people love SIT strings and they're not that expensive. I've yet to try those, though.