Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Strings for my Sadowsky?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thumper, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Okay, I'm home sick and tried a thread search, but couldn't find a quick answer to my question and don't feel up to an in-depth search.

I have a Sadowsky V5, swamp ash body, morado board. It's a great bass, but I hate the feel of the strings, the tension is too high. The previous owner thinks they are D'addario nickels. They sound fine, but I'd like a softer feel. For reference, I love the DR Lowriders on my Lakland, and am thinking of putting some on my Sadowsky, but wonder if the difference in scale (35" vs 34") would change the feel on the Sadowsky.

My question is, how is the tension on Sadowsky strings? I can deal with medium but prefer low tension, the high tension strings it's got just don't work for me, I actually got a blister under my callous after a 5 hour practice.

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I posted a whole thread about strings for an RV5. Did you find that one?

In the standard guage(.45-.130), the sadowsky stainless strings have very high tension, the nickels a bit less. But in the same guages, DR lo riders have just as much tension as the stainless sadowskys. If you are used to regular guage (.45-.125) lo riders on a 35" scale ... then I'd be surprised that anything felt too high tension for you on a 34" scale. Did you use a lighter guage on the lakland?

I tried a lot of strings on my RV5 and in the end I felt that the best strings for the sadowsky bass were sadowsky strings. If you want lower tension, then order the light guage strings.

3. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Pickles, I didn't find that thread, I'll try again.

I'm using standard guage Low Riders on the Lakland. Maybe I'll go for light Sadowsky nickels on my Sadowsky.

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
  5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I love the Sadowsky Bright Nickles :bassist:

6. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    +1. i use the .40 light guage and love them. i love that dirty classic jazz tone with my uv70.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Crossposting bad. Proper classification good. Moved.