1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which strings for Smashing Pumpkins sound?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GibsonSG, Oct 2, 2008.

1. GibsonSG

GibsonSG

Oct 2, 2008
    Hi bass players,

My girlfriend started playing bass almost a year ago on a Ibanez GSR200 and likes to play SP and other grunge/rock songs. It is a cheap but in my opinion good value for money bass. However, the sound too me is a bit tinny (cheap sounding). I think the sound of this bass can be improved with new strings and pickups and since we're neither experienced bass players I'm hoping for some good advice here on which strings and pickups can best be used to resemble that SP sound she likes. She also plays STP, and Metallica stuff. Oh yes, she plays with a pick. Sounds she doesn't like (and which the bass seems suited for) are funky bright slapping styles etc.

For strings, choices are round or flat wound, nickel plated or stainless steel.
    For pickups, I have no idea, perhaps Seymour Duncan SPB-2 or SPB-3's but I'm just guessing.
    The amp (now a Ibanez SW35) is another story for later.

Thanks.

2. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    I really have no idea what it is you're asking here, but if it's for strings, Get some flatwounds. And if its for pickups, get the SPB-2's or Dimarzio DP 122 set.

3. The pick might be what's causing the bright tone. Palm-muting, or playing with the EQ could even that out.

4. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    Roundwounds. Nickel preferably.

5. thick sounding pups tend to sound best with a pick. why alot of pick players like p basses. not sure what picups are in the ibanez so i cant comment on what you have.

6. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    GSR200's have a PJ setup. Great for pick-playing IMO.

7. xparis001

xparis001 Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Senior Product Manager, Akai Professional
    do GSR200s have an aluminum bridge? that can cause tinny sound as well.

8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    You sure the amp isn't the whole story?

9. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    I believe strings will have the most insignificant effect on the sound, when compared to the amp OR the pickups. I say, before replacing anything "on what you have"; lean towards replacing "what you have". Go to a guitar center, play around with different basses and combo amps till you approximate what you have in mind.

10. GibsonSG

GibsonSG

Oct 2, 2008
    Thanks for all the replies.

I think we'll have to go to the guitar store and try out as many basses and combos as possible to find out what makes the most difference in sound. From a guitar player's perspective I know I don't like active pickups (such as EMG's) at all because they sound very unorganic too me. This bass has active pickups so I'll try some basses with passive pickups too to hear the difference.