Which strings have nickel in them?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Mike Crumpton, Feb 25, 2006.

1. This one for Francois I supose, but I have an alergy to nickel - not particularly serious I think, but my understanding is that reactions to nickel are quite common.

I know quite a few bg strings are nickel wound and Francois said some Correllis were - how may others are?
  2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hi Mike.
    The Corelli 370 series are tungsten wound. (however the G is also nickel wound I think, and maybe even the D. Please contact them if you're interested by Corellis)

Other brands with nickel outer wrap:

D'Addario Helicores
    Pirastro Permanents
    Super-Sensitive Supremes
    Super-Sensitive Sensicores
    Super-Sensitive Red Labels
    (their Pinnacle and Stellar brands are chrome alloy wound)

Those came to mind. Maybe there are others.
    Do you only have a concern if it's the outer wrap?
    What about nickel inside the string, under a chromesteel wrap for example?
  3. basster

Aug 14, 2003
    Most strings are kind of nickelwound: chromesteel is around 30 percent nickel, the tungsten/wolfram corellis aren´t nickelfree,too.

You can play plain gut or silverwound gut (f.e. pirastro eudoxa) or velvet compas 180 (stainless steel, not 100% nickelfree but they work for me).

Thomastik is able to produce all their strings absolutely nickelfree as a custom order. Ask them, they will help you!!

best regards
  4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Thanks for the info, Basster!
    I didn't know that!
    Thomastik will make a custom order if you order a box of twelve sets though, I think.

Mike, you can email Pirastro to know what is the nickel content in their chromesteel strings.
    I'd be interested to know too!
  5. Thanks very much Francios & Basster - most helpful. I'll e-mail Pirastro and let you know.