Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which strings have nickel in them?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Mike Crumpton, Feb 25, 2006.

1. This one for Francois I supose, but I have an alergy to nickel - not particularly serious I think, but my understanding is that reactions to nickel are quite common.

I know quite a few bg strings are nickel wound and Francois said some Correllis were - how may others are?

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    :)
    Hi Mike.
    The Corelli 370 series are tungsten wound. (however the G is also nickel wound I think, and maybe even the D. Please contact them if you're interested by Corellis)

Other brands with nickel outer wrap:

D'Addario Helicores
    Pirastro Permanents
    Super-Sensitive Supremes
    Super-Sensitive Sensicores
    Super-Sensitive Red Labels
    (their Pinnacle and Stellar brands are chrome alloy wound)

Those came to mind. Maybe there are others.
    Do you only have a concern if it's the outer wrap?
    What about nickel inside the string, under a chromesteel wrap for example?

3. basster

basster

Aug 14, 2003
    Most strings are kind of nickelwound: chromesteel is around 30 percent nickel, the tungsten/wolfram corellis aren´t nickelfree,too.

You can play plain gut or silverwound gut (f.e. pirastro eudoxa) or velvet compas 180 (stainless steel, not 100% nickelfree but they work for me).

Thomastik is able to produce all their strings absolutely nickelfree as a custom order. Ask them, they will help you!!

best regards

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Thanks for the info, Basster!
    I didn't know that!
    Thomastik will make a custom order if you order a box of twelve sets though, I think.

Mike, you can email Pirastro to know what is the nickel content in their chromesteel strings.
    I'd be interested to know too!

5. Thanks very much Francios & Basster - most helpful. I'll e-mail Pirastro and let you know.