Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which strings on my Fender Jazz fretless

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by the low one, Jun 14, 2005.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I’ve just bought a Fender Jazz fretless (Mexican) I’m really happy with it but have a question about the strings. It comes with (I think) really heavy strings (55 70 90 105). I intend to replace these eventually with my regular gauge of 40 60 80 100 which will probably be Rotosound flatwounds. Should I do this sooner rather than later before the bass settles in with the heavier strings? Are the heavier gauge strings better for the bass?

2. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Why do Fender put such heavy strings on their basses? Will a fretless sound vetter with heavy strings?
    I mean, who uses a .55 on the G string? but that's what they put on the Jazz fretless, and the American standard P bass gets a .110 on the E !!
    Don't most people use 40 to 100 or 45 to 105 strings?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A .055 for a flatwound G is not all that uncommon, and a lot of players who use flats actually like the heavier string because it sounds fatter and better. They probably use those gauges because they're the most popular flat set they sell. Most people don't bend flats like they would roundwounds, so they get the fattest gauge they can stand because the tone is so much better.

4. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    personally, i like the feel of heavier strings; it feels like something substantial and deep, not like a little spiderweb. though i don't think i've ever seen a .55. my ghs bass boomers come .50-.115

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I personally didn't feel those heavy flatwounds made the bass sound any fatter than any other flats I've played. In fact, I thought the 9050ML's sounded better. But, that is only my experience; YMMV.

I'm currently using D'addario Chromes flatwounds. Together with the DiMarzio Model J pickups, it's a really nice combination. :hyper: