1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which strings should I get?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by simoncrequer, Jan 10, 2012.

1. simoncrequer

simoncrequer

Jan 4, 2012
    So there's a bit of a story to go with my question:

Today, my G string broke (it's always the string with the funny name). I remembered that when I got my bass - which I got second hand - it came with an extra pack of strings, so I found that pack, but as it turns out, it has all of the strings except for the G string. And I noticed that the strings in the pack and the one that broke all had the same red thing on the end, so I'm pretty sure the one that broke came from that pack!

Anyway, before it broke, I noticed that I preferred the sound of the G string over the D string, especially when popping. It seemed to have a much brighter sound. I looked at the packet and it says BRIGHT, so that's obviously why.

The strings are D'Addario XL Nickel Wound Medium Guage EXL160. And I liked the sound of that string that broke, so I would like to get some more like these. Does anyone have any recommendations? They don't have to be the same, just similar sounding.

2. Circle K strings are all I use if I'm not using Flats I was a huge D'Addario fan until recently when I tried out Circle Ks. Loving the tone I get from those! Any TB'et will agree that they are AMAZING

3. Bassstringsonline.com is where many of us go to buy strings. The owner is a member here and posts under the name of SLaPNFuNK, his name is Jason. TB members receive an additional discount on their orders and he sells individual strings in addition to sets. You should be able to pick up a single replacement G string from him and have it within 3 days of your order. That would be my recommendation.

4. simoncrequer

simoncrequer

Jan 4, 2012
    Does he ship to New Zealand?

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    HI!!!

OP: D'Addario does sell singles for all their XL Nickel and ProSteel's round wounds.

If you like a bright sounding string, maybe you should give the ProSteels a whirl? For the money, its hard to beat the sound and quality of D'Addario products and if you like the sound and feel of them give it a shot.

You can try other gauges, they have a ton available as pre-packaged sets and you can always build your own set if need be.

6. simoncrequer

simoncrequer

Jan 4, 2012
    Hi

I think I might just get the same one if I can, since I already have the other 3 and I liked the sound of it. That way I can put it on with the other 3 when I get my nut replaced.

But the problem is that I live in New Zealand, so there's shipping costs... What's the cheapest I could get a single G string (EXL 160) shipped here?

Thanks!

7. sidez81

sidez81

Mar 16, 2011
    QLD, Australia
    Get DR .......................... (god your all gonna hate me for this HAHA) There the best for metal.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Get a new full set of the D'Addario XL then. The g string as replacement strings sounds brighter then the others cause its newer string. Not as worn in as the rest oif the setl since it replaced a broken string from that older set. But also check your bridge saddle for burr or other that cdould have caused string to break. Ideal is replace all strings together instead of one at a time as they break. So they sound diff new then the do after breakin. Broken in string will also sound better then one thats been on the instrument for a month or more longer.

9. I'm gonna let Jason answer this for you and if you don't want to wait for him to return here you can email him at bassstringsonline.com. Many times he answer emails faster than queries here.

In the US he generally ships via Priority Mail through the US Postal System. There must be a way to connect that to New Zealand because I know he's shipped overseas including to Australia. Give him a shout out on his email.

Just go to his site, bassstringsonline.com and you can leave a message for him.