Which Strings to Get??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Scrawneybassist, May 23, 2001.

1. The strings on my 4 string Fender Precison bass are getting kind of old. I need to buy some new strings but i don't know which kind to buy. I mostly play funk/punk/ska. Any advice on which kind of strings to buy? Thanks
  2. onadowner

May 23, 2001
    Howz it.

Well I'm not a bass expert, but I think it's more of a personal preference, everybody likes different things. So my advice would be just go out and get a few brand name strings that you've heard of and test as many as you can.

Me, I use D'Addario strings, they sound and feel good to me, mostly Half Rounds. I like Ernie Ball too....but only on one of my basses. Anyhow, later.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

No place I know of will let you put strings on a bass to test them. And I'm guessing you don't want to spend around $100 to get several sets and try them out.

As onadowner said, it's personal preference but it sure sounds like you haven't been at it long enough to have a personal preference yet.

Based on the types of music you describe, you might like DR Lo-Riders. They're very popular around here and lots of pros use them. (I use DR Fat Beams but I think the Lo-Riders are better fro your needs). Also, they're a safe bet because they aren't radically bright and raw or deep and thumpy.

A couple of the best places to check them out are www.getstringscheap.com and www.juststrings.com

BTW, Welcome to Talkbass, onadowner!
  4. onadowner

May 23, 2001

Ehehe....thanks for the links rickbass! About the testing thing, I used to get a set, and when those got old and I needed new ones, I'd just buy some of a different brand....eventually after a while of that I just picked which ones I liked most. Probably a weird process too.
  5. rickbass

That's cool, downer. But instead of letting Scrawney fumble around for a year or so in search of the sound he wants, I figured I'd give him some direction. At least if he gets those, he'll have much better, pro quality, strings than what Fender puts on their basses.
  6. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    well the best would be Ernie Ball strings, thats what alot of the punk bands use.
  7. Sir_Munkey

Sir_Munkey Guest

May 4, 2001
    I personally use Wyres, I don't know where you'd get 'em, but believe me, they sound good, and there like 20 bucks (canadian), not bad at all...
    But thats just my own opinion.....

8. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    I have to second Rickbass. Just got a set of the DR Low-riders last night. They are really nice. Not to much brightness and plenty of low / mid tones. I play the blues and funk and I have never been so happy with a set of strings. Of course YMMV.
  9. Scrawny, two sets I can recommed that fall just on either side of the fence are: D'addario Slowounds.
    These are roundwound strings that are very balanced, and not that bright at all. For roundwounds they can sound very close to the sound of a bright flatwound.

Rotosound 77s. These are flatwound strings that have a lot of sustain and brightness for a flat string.
    Either would sound good on a Precision. Both are reasonably priced.

Mike J.
  10. Bassman7

Apr 7, 2001
    It all depends on your preference, but i recommend warwick yellow label round wound. .45 .65 .85 .105

They're cheap, only 20 bucks and they have a real nice full sound to them
  11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'll agree with rickbass (since he's da' man!!!). I use DR strings almost exclusively and am generally very happy with them!

The thing about low-riders is that there's two kinds: nickel and steel. Nickel strings will be warmer and not as bright, where steel is really bright and raw (which I kind of like).

I'd keep those two things in mind when shopping for strings.

And, if you don't like DR strings after trying them, you can always try one of the other brands mentioned...after all, most strings are made be just a couple of companies.
  12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yet another dr lo-rider user here! (stainless .45 .65 .85 .105 .135)

i love them after they've been on the bass for about a week. i don't like them right out of the package but MAN once they kinda settle in they sound great. raw, punchy, deep.

13. I am going to go and pick up a set of those DR lo rider strings next weekend, i make sure i report back on how i like em. Thanks for the input everyone
  14. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Definetly let us know what you think. I just got the DR Low Riders and I think they're awesome.

15. 6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    Try DR headbeams. They last forever, sound punchy and warm and well, they freakin' rule! Out of Rotosounds, Ernie Ball, Fender, Smith, And D' adario they are my favorite. OOOO I love em'!
  16. For a P-bass playing ska/funk I would just leave them on there until they break.
  17. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Lo Riders pwn
  18. rickbass

Does DR know that they are making these? ;)
  19. I like Ernie Ball 45-105. They hold long and is very good to play on
  20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I tend to stick with whatever the dealership puts on. I usually don't need to replace headbeams often, so I don't know the brand. ;)