Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which strings? unhappy with current ones.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by awa, Jul 18, 2004.

1. awa

awa

Jul 18, 2004
    i have a 75 jazz bass strung B-E-A-D with ghs boomers. i feel the strings don't have enough bite in the low-mid and midrange areas. i play mainly fingerstyle and need a string that has deep lows but can cut through the mix as well. i don't need a lot of brightness. options so far are DR sunbeams, fatbeams, or LaBella deep talking bass. any suggestions?

2. There are many good things said about the fat beams in this forum. If you were to make a search on them, most of the stuff they say is positive. As for me I use Lo Riders and they sound great. You get very little noise when you pluck with your fingers. Some people think that the Lo Riders are bright but I myself think they are perfect. You will get the deep lows you're looking for with these. :) :cool:

3. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    +1 for the lo-riders. i also do not find them overly bright. great lows and low mids in these strings.

4. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    +1 on the low riders.

maybe good ole stainless fender strings may be up your alley also

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Or Rotosound. I like Roto's better than DR's, and they last me longer (surprisingly enough).

GHS Super Steels are nice, too.

I like nickels OK, but stainless strings seem to have deeper lows, and, of course, more "bite".