Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which strings would be better for a school's bass, stainless steel or flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dream Works, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Dream Works

Dream Works

Dec 5, 2003
    Toronto
    In my school, there are 3 basses, one is a Fender Jazz 5, one is a knock off jazz 4, and a very old knock off p bass. These basses are used mostly for our stage band. The strings are extremely old and rather rusted. I offered to bring in my old strings and string them on the 5 string, but the teacher said he would order some new strings for the basses. I was thinking of getting some stainless steel strings since stainless steel doesn't rust. However, I'm thinking that flats would be a better fit for jazz, and seeing as how double basses in the school are strung with flats and these strings probably haven't been changed in a very long time, that flats could be a better choice. However, flat wound strings are not a mundanity in my area and the local music shop is very slow in it's orders. (I ordered a set of DR Black Beauties for my 6 string over a month and a half ago and they still haven't com in yet). It is possible that by the time the strings come in the semester may already be over and there would be no use for new strings. What do you suggest the basses be strung with?

2. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Well, it depends on what you want.

The stainless roundwounds will be pretty bright and first but will lose that quality fairly quickly.

Flatwounds are generally dark and thumpy, will last a long time, and many say they improve with age.

How about three different kinds, for variety?

Flats on the Precision.

Stainless on the J copy.

Nickel half-rounds on the 5.

Mix and match.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would definitely only get strings that are available readily. I don't know if I'd use stainless on a school bass, since they wear out the frets a lot quicker than nickels, but I'd put roundwounds on everything but the P.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Because they should have one bass there that's not strung with rounds, and since P's sound so good with flats, I say make the P a flat bass.

5. Get some TI Jazz Flats. expensive, yes- but they last and last, and only sound better as they age.

6. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    your lucky your school has a fender, all we have are 3 precision knockoffs.....
    since loads of people are going to be playing it get the flatwound ones. Im a strings noob but and thats just my opinion

7. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte

+1

8. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think coated strings such as elixers would be a perfect fit here.

9. We have nothing... it's bring your own. :meh: