1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cerokilik, Oct 15, 2013.

1. cerokilik

cerokilik

Aug 22, 2013
    Clinton, MI
    recently i purchased a 5 string jazz bass and am wondering what people would recommend. I play little jazz here and there but mainly punk and alt rock. This is my first 5 while in the past I've used ultra light medium and heavy but those were on 4 strings.

So would you recommend ultra light, light or medium gauge strings for a 5 string? also should I get flats, halfrounds, or rounds? Im used to rounds and have played rounds since day 1. so 4 years of using rounds. shouldn't be too hard to transition right?

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    There is no right or wrong answer. I have always used medium round wounds. Its really a matter of personal preference.

3. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Strings are subjective. It's really a matter of personal taste. On the other hand, there are some bad strings out there to my ear. If I were going to play alt rock and punk on my 5 string, I'd choose a light gauge nickel plated round wound. D'Addario, DR, Ernie Ball, or Sadowsky. Any of them would work for me.

4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

For punk and alt rock I would select a stainless steel roundwound. They have a bright, aggressive, growly tone well-suited to the styles in question.

5. Bassist4Eris

I'm going to try and dig a little deeper into your question and hopefully give you some helpful info.

Whatever you used on 4-string will be fine on 5-string and feel the same. Your E, A, D, and G strings will correspond. The B, of course, will be heavier (thicker). You're basically overthinking this.

In short, flats are warmer and darker, rounds are more bright and aggressive, and halfrounds are a compromise between the two.

Nope. :)

6. cerokilik

cerokilik

Aug 22, 2013
    Clinton, MI
    alright then another stupid question, what gauge B string would you recommend, in looking for stainless steel strings i found a set that had the B as 125 or is 125 too light(yes I realize its a matter of personal preference)

7. As said there is no good bad answer you'll have to experiment. Personally I use D'Addarios XL 130-45

8. Bassist4Eris

Well, I realize this thread is a couple days old now, but I was following up on some threads I had posted in, and here I am.

There's nothing wrong with a .125, but I prefer something heavier, like a .130.

My favorite stainless steel rounds are DR High Beams. They make a set with a .130

https://www.bassstringsonline.com/DR-HI-BEAM-Stainless-Steel-Bass-5-String-Set_p_63.html

Arguably the most aggressive sounding string out there is the Rotosound 66. They also make a B in a .130

https://www.bassstringsonline.com/Rotosound-Swing-Bass-66--Double-Ball-End-5-String-Set_p_274.html