Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which strings???????

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassking511, Feb 7, 2006.

1. ive been playing bass for about 6 months now.I consider myself pretty decent but im still new and dont have much hardware experience.I haven't needed to replace my strings yet but what kind should i replace it with. i have an Ibanez Gsr200 with nickel round wound(i think)andwith p and j pickups.I play mainly rock to metal. what is the best type of string for me ( guage and type)

thanks------------

2. with heavy rock to metal...stick with a metal roundwound...if you like a bit of punch then nickels are good...if you like a bit more high-end "shimmer" then go with stainless (aka chromes).

I'd stick with a medium gauge (0.105 E)
    light gauge (0.100 E) can sound good in funk but a bit wimpy in rock
    Heavy gauge (0.110 E) are a good rock choice if you play with a pick, but can be a bit tight for some fingerstyle players.

For nickels, DR Sunbeams or D'Addario XL nickels are good choices out of the MANY MANY good choices

For stainless, DR High Beams or D'Addario XL steels (again there are many choices)

I've also heard good things about SIT strings and Thomastik Infelds, as well....AND don't forget rotosounds and Fender makes good strings, too

Mind you, the above information is purely a general guideline as in my own personal opinion.

To each his own, and everyone does things a little differently

I hope this doesn't confuse you TOO much :)

3. I presently use GHS Boomers .045-.105's. Clear, Distinct, lots of punch, good low end, very good mids and highs without being harsh. These are versatile strings that fit several venues including Rock.

4. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    When i was just startin out bass i asked myself the same question... GHS Boomers are the way to go.. And if you want to get really particular, go for the Flea signature GHS boomers... They are just like the boomers, but with Flea's mods... They sound like butter..... :bassist:

5. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I am a D'Addario fan. I don't always use them but I think they sound descent on most basses (DA XLs and DA ProSteels). Good luck finding YOUR string. YOUR string can be an elusive moving target.

Dave