1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by r05c03, Apr 30, 2006.

1. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Okay, heres the situation. I have a bongo bass strung with D'adarrio semi-flats. They are alright, but I am uhappy with how low I can set the action on them. I have temporarily used GHS Brite Flats on it and I can get the action much lower. However, I already have a mellow sounding bass and I kind of want the Bongo to be the in-your-face bass. I have three other sets of strings that I could put on it. The Ernie Balls that came on it, Rotosound 66's, and GHS Boomers. I like string to be kind of tight feeling as opposed to 'floppy', because even though I generally play with my fingers I like to slap when the ocassion calls for it. I have not used alot of different round wound strings so any input would be helpful.

2. r05c03

r05c03

Jul 21, 2005
    Lafayette, IN
    Well, I thought I'd get a bit more feed back, but not so. So I tried every string set that I had. GHS Brite Flats: too dull, But I could get the action nice and low; Ernie Ball: Too Slinky; D'addario Semi-rounds: Much brighter than GHS Brite flats, could not get action low enough, for whatever reason; Rotosounds: could not get the E string intonated; GHS Boomers: These are the string for me for now, they are the tightest that I found and will take the low action. Just thought I would post my findings.

3. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Hrm. I am researching strings for the bongo as well. What kind of tone are you after? You want zing? You want grunt? I'd say give some nickle strings a try, like D'adarrio XL-170s or DR Sunbeams (I think those are the nickle ones). I'll probably try both of these.

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater

May 20, 2005
    I use DR Low Riders and SIT Power Wound Nickels on my Bongo. They are the best I've found.

5. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Hrm. I'm a long time DR user, so maybe I'll give those a try. I'm not loving the DR Hi Beams on my Jazz at the moment, but I believe the bass needs to be setup something terrible. I had it pro setup, but the action is still rather high and I find them to be somewhat high tension because of this.

It's been at least a year since I have had any low riders. Do you use the nickle or steel low riders? How do they compare to the SIT strings?

6. Darth Tater

Darth Tater

May 20, 2005
    I use the nickel low riders. Compared to the SIT's, the DR's have more midrage and less bottom, and are a little mellower. The SIT's punch you right in the gut and have more growl.

7. malicous

malicous

Apr 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I use La Bella Hard Rockin' Steel strings. They are quite agressive sounding, and last quite long (depending on how often you play and how acidic your fingers are). They are also quite tight feeling.