Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which style should I learn next?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Mar 3, 2003.

1. I'm working on walking blues basslines courtesy of Ed Friedland's book. I'm planning ahead: What style of music should I study next?

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

- Reggae
    - Bossa Nova

I'm slowly working on funk 'cause that fingerfunk and slapping is a little more work. I'm skipping jazz for now 'cause I can always raid my best friend's jazz collection (he's a mega-mega-jazz fanatic).

And other suggestions? If possible, name some definitive albums or compilations that I could buy and study.

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Keep workin on the funk! :)

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Next you should be focusing on late 19th century piano concertos.

4. Dude...that is sooooo...19th century.... :meh:

5. Bossa Nova can be kinda difficult, at least I hear.

I think reggae would be fun, it'd give you some nice new groove tricks to play with without being too difficult

6. Molloy

Molloy

Dec 6, 2002
    Paris, France
    Yes, Bossa Nova is rather difficult, the harmonies in most Jobim tunes are rather elaborated compared to jazz standards - check out Desafinado, for example. OTOH, you can make pretty effective lines using basic techniques (root-fifth) and following the chords, as the harmonic motion of the tune will build something nice all by itself. :D Rhythmically you're in for a treat, as bass in bossa is maybe the simplest part of it all. Just explain your drummer not to play what most get taught as "the bossa rhythm", with that f*ugly bass drum double hit on beat 1 & 3 and a eigth note before. That's the part of the surdo bass drum in a traditionnal battucada percussions ensemble, and in a band the bass takes up the role, not the drums, as a bass can produce that typical high pitch-low pitch syncopated feel that propels samba forward while a bass drum just can't !

So, it depends on what you are planning to play. Simple bossa lines are not difficult, but you may find yourself quickly stranded as you try to make more elaborated stuff, due to the complexity of the harmonic material - that's where studying jazz and theory becomes crucial.

Reggae, I don't know squat about, so I won't comment.

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You think Bossa is difficult? You wanna try 19th century piano concertos.

8. Molloy

Molloy

Dec 6, 2002
    Paris, France
    19nth century is soooooo much out of the loop, man !!! Are you straight out of the glacier or something ?!? Boulez man, Boulez is da schiznit !!!!!

9. ....your....mother...wants...to try 19th century piano concertos!

*crosses his arms and looks fresh*

10. With the bossa nova, I was shooting for the easy stuff (1-5) stuff first. I've never actually analyzed bossa nova so I have no idea what I'm up against. But it would sound really groovy played by itself (unlike a boring 8th note rock pulse).

11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Latin.

Buy The Latin Bass Book. It comes with 3 CDs and is AWESOME!!!