Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which SX base?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shaunze, Apr 8, 2004.

1. shaunze

shaunze

Apr 6, 2004
    Astoria Oregon
    ok, sorry if this has been asked before, but for my first base, i'm gettin an SX, and there is so many choices of P bases. can someone help me out in what is best?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    P bass wise they are basically the same, just different finishes. Go with what you like.

(ive noticed that you seem to make a new thread for every single question you have... you can ask multiple quesitons per thread to make it easier ...)

3. shaunze

shaunze

Apr 6, 2004
    Astoria Oregon
    that would probobly make things handier! get rid of all the clutter i'm causing. i figured that was the only difference, but just wasn't sure, so figured i should check.

4. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    In my opinion. If you don't want to fix frets and stuff better go for the most expensive you can find in Essex. The 110 dollar P bass I bought does everything right but the fret work can rip your hand off in a couple hours.

I made it fretless and enjoy it.

Just be ready when you buy they are good basses in every other respect than the frets and strings that come installed.

tk

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Welcome to Talkbase.

6. hahahahaha its bass buddy

7. i meant to him not you turock

8. and shaunze, why did you spell bass right yesterday and not today!

9. Settle down guys. Just a lil error in spelling, nothing to go crazy over.

As Figjam said, it's just the tops that look different which is why there are different ones. Get a fretted one for sure and if the ends seem sharp or the frets aren't totally pushed down to the fretboard, go to your local music store and see if they can fix that (they should be able to).

Peace,
    Tyler

10. [​IMG]

this one, i played one just like it at rondo and i really liked it

11. shaunze

shaunze

Apr 6, 2004
    Astoria Oregon
    oops. sorry bout the spelling mistake. i was tired when i wrote it. oh well. ya, lots of people have said the frets were all screwed up, but that they are good basses. ooh, spelt it right.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You can fix the fret thing, not too much trouble. You can buy a file to file down the frets (special ones are made for basses so they dont mess up the fingerboard.) or get a professional to do it.

13. shaunze

shaunze

Apr 6, 2004
    Astoria Oregon
    oh, that's handy! now i just need to buy the thing, and start learnin to play bass(not base)!

14. If you really want to get in to it, I recommend a teacher if you can afford one. If you can't, just try and jam with as many peolpe as you can which will help you learn and practice like crazy. Bass is a lot of fun, but takes some commitment!

15. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    question:

if you were to compare a squire p-bass, and an SX p-bass, which one would be better?

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    SX

17. Depends...older squier or newer? Some of the older ones are actually pretty good (like my '98 squier strat is better than the newer ones)

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes but a strat is not a P bass.. :p i find the guitars to be better than the basses.. maybe stuff is more notiecably crappy on a bass.

19. I still have heard some of the older Squier basses are a whole lot better than the newer ones. But yes, in general the guitars are better.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah yes, me too, as well as, what were they..japanese Squiers? I hear they are decent-er.