Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which tape wounds for a fretted bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chief ten beers, Mar 25, 2005.

1. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    I'm looking for a very mellow tone on my L2k and i've been told to try some tape wounds.having read a few product descriptions on a few brands most indicate that they are recommended for fretless ...does this mean they would sound and perform well on a fretted bass?Which brand would you recommend for a fretted bass?thanks

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Yes, they work fine on a fretted bass; I tried them [Labellas] on a bass I had that was really bright with hopes that they would mellow the thing out, and they did help a bit, but in the end I trading the bass in, it just had too many things going against it.

The only other bass that I tried them [this time rotosounds] on was a cheap J copy.

Sound wise they are twangy when new and thumpy once they brake in, and feel rubbery.

I have never seen them on a real nice bass, so my opion is a bit limited.

3. redfenderj

redfenderj

Aug 12, 2004
    I have a carvin frettless acoustic with Labella tapewounds on it. They came on the bass and I haven't changed them in almost 2 years. They have a real nice "pur". Very mellow but they still have a unique voice. They sound great if you're looking for a bass sound that is out of the ordinary and actually sounds more like a voice than a blob. :)
    James

4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Hey Chief, I ran Labella Tapewounds on my L2K for years. Immediately after I put them on the first time, the guys in the band wanted to know what I'd done to my tone-- they LOVED the sound of that bass with those strings.

5. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    I bourght black tapewounds for my Jazz three years ago out of necessity. The best thing I ever did. I now have them on my Musicman! Peace.

6. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I just bought a Takamine Acoustic-Electric (fretted), and I get a lot of fret buzz on the E string (Open up to about G#). Right now, there are some really crappy nickel strings on there. Do you think that these La Bella's will help get rid of the fret buzz? If not, is there anything else I can do (besides play softer ;) )? Thanks.