Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Tapers on a Rickenbacker ???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Turlu, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Hi,

Anybody got an idea which Tapers would fit a Rickenbacker Bass (model 4001V63) so the thin part of the string can actually sit correctly on the saddle ?

Let me know if any of you experienced it in the past ?

2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    I'm not that familiar with Ricks but you could try Rotosound RS99 piano string design. These have an adjustable ball end so you can make them as long as you want. They will work on string through body bridges too.

3. The RIC brand strings that came on my 4001v63 that I bought new last summer were 40-55-70-95 and I haven't been able to find a similar set from another string company so I've been using D'Addrio XL170's, I think that they are 45-65-80-100's.

4. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Hey rsautrey,

Can you be more precise with the Rotosound RS99?
    I checked at musiciansfriend.com site and I found the RS99 but it is mentioned it is manufactured replacement strings for Fender, etc. I did not find the RS99 piano string design as you stated in the thread.

Can you tell me the right ones I should try on my Ric ? Where can I buy them ?
    Are they tapers?

Thanks in advance,

5. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Turlu, Rotosound RS99LD-G is the set with the adjustable ball ends. This is an Exposed Core set which means just the core of the string contacts the bridge saddle. Most tapers still have a small winding at the bridge. I'd try juststrings.com or Steve Barr at vintage bass trading co. As far as Musicians Friend listing them to be for specific instruments, those are all old stock. The only RS99 made now are RS99LD-G which are gauged .045, .065, .085, .105. Hope this helps!

Oh yeah, almost forgot, these strings are not cheap. They usually run about $25.00 a set.

6. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Rsautrey,

Thanks a lot. I will certainly give them a try very soon !!!