Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Taylor

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diablo, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Diablo

Diablo

Jan 31, 2002
    I am in need of advice on acustic taylors. I don't know which model to get. The AB1, AB2, AB3, or AB4. Please help a weary bass player. :confused: :eek:

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I owned an AB-2, and I think you'd have to play all the models to tell which one you want since the main difference is wood of construction and finish. I think everything else is the same...

Some advice: Unless you REALLY have your heart set on a Taylor, do yourself and your wallet a favor and check out a couple of other ABGs...namely a Tacoma and a Godin A4 or A5. None of these are loud enough to gig unplugged, so as long as you can get a decent home practice volume acoustically, fine. However, you'll find a dramatic difference in amplified tone.

While I LOVED the beauty and workmanship of my Taylor, it was less than optimal tonally. The Tacomas I tried after the fact were much better. HOWEVER...after I'd sold my Taylor and was about to get a Tacoma, I ran across a slightly used Godin A4 and can say that it smokes both the Taylor and Tacoma in terms of amplified tone and versatility and it was WAY cheaper and every bit as well-crafted. The acoustic tone isn't bad either...as good as the Taylor, easily.

Tacoma owners here might disagree, but this underscores my point...it's all based on opinion. Play several ABGs to form a good educated opinion before you plunk down all that $$ on a Taylor.

3. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I agreee....check out the Godin A4/A5..fantastic basses, which easily out shine ALL the other a
    ABGs out there.
    Max