Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which teacher has the better method?

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Brahim, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Brahim

Brahim

Apr 9, 2004
    i am still a beginner. Should i choose a teacher that will emphasize on sight reading and notes more by having me practice on meaningless complicated notes or one that will teach me by forgetting about sight reading and having me play the basslines of easy songs and teaching me the role of the bass in a band?(the first one is more of a jazz bassist while the other one is a rock bassist)
    Personally i find the 2nd teacher more fun but less rewarding

2. Hello Brahim,

The easy answer is find a third teacher who is an all rounder and teaches all aspects of bass playing...so you'll become invincible!!! :bassist:

But in the end, go for what your heart tells you to do.

3. Oh, I also forgot to mention. Since your only starting, its good to have in mind that you can still switch the roads that you're on further down the track if that need be.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Although I would tend to agree with Guitarrista - get a third teacher who can mix it up and make learning the important stuff fun - I do have some comments:

1. A teacher that just shows you bass lines does not let you learn how to develop your own lines. It is great if all you ever want to play is those cover tunes - really sucks if you want to develop an original voice, originaly lines.

2. If you are still pretty young (under 18) - I would say it is vitally important to learn to read. Since it is hard to predict the future, a well rounded education is the best. Learning tor ead can get you gigs that others cannot cover. If you want to play in a school ensemble, get pick up or studio work - reading is a must. That does not mean that learning tor ead cannot be fun - it needs to be mixed into the entire equation:

Theory
    Technique
    Sight Reading
    reading chord charts
    Playing tunes
    improvising

most importantly the teacher needs to share your enthusiasm. The best teacher is but a guide - channeling your energy, your interest and your drive. If you're in upstate NY - give me a shout.

Mike

BTW - The role of the bass in the band is changing everyday, every hour, every minute. It started with James Jamerson, hit it's stride with Jaco Pastorius and lives today with guys like Vic Wooten and Michael Manring. Chart your own course!

Once more thing - there are a lot of really bad bass books out there. It makes learning to read, at best, difficult. The exercises are just so unmusical (not really a word) - try some Bach, Trombone books, etc

5. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I just want to echo Mike's comments regarding learning to read. It's really. really. really. IMPORTANT!

But you can't push your reading off to the side... not for a minute. Otherwise you're gonna end up in a rut (take it from me).

Anyways, my advice for a teacher... find someone who plays primarily the bass. I took lessons for YEARS from a guy who played guitar. He was a great guy, but I left the lessons feeling like I hadn't really learned everything I could have. Second, it's important for a teacher to be enthusiastic about your playing (weather it be advancement or whatever...) because it really will motivate you to sit down and practice to impress your teacher. Adding on to that, PRACTICE so your teacher doesnt feel like he's teaching you things for no reason. Become a great bass player!

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Also, I'd like to add onto Guitarrista's comments about composition -- just linking it to improvising. Some of my favourite lines that I've written came from a riff or even a couple of notes I really enjoyed while improvising. If you find that you don't have a highly rigid practice schedule and you're not doing anything particular that night...just jam! You might find some great stuff that you can beef up and from a tiny hook make a fully fledged song.