Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which term do you prefer to be called, Bassist or Bass Player?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CROZ, Sep 6, 2000.

1. What would you rather be referred to as a bassist or a bass player? Does Bassist imply more precision than a bass player? Is a Bassist more refined than a bass player? Little words can make a big difference. All I know is I wouldn't want to be an audiophile.(too much like pedophile)

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I don't have a preference. To me they both say the same thing. Sort of like the "is it a violin or a fiddle?" thing.

I also dont want to be called an audiophile. I'm not sure why but I just don't the sound of it.:)

3. DownCaster

DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    I like being called a bassist. i think that bass player is just someone who plays the bass where a bassist is someone that write their own stuff and play. of course this is just my opinion though...

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    "You can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay. But ya does'n hav ta call me Johnson! :D

For the record...an "audiophile"..is one who listens to music....usually..VERY much into hi tech equipment. :)

5. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    In my opinion, a "bassist" sounds like someone who's dedicated themselves to the pursuit of the instrument. A bassist doesn't even need to be professional, just so long as he/she is dedicated to playing bass.

A "bass player" sounds more like a person who simply plays bass. They could be good, very good even. However, they just aren't as dedicated to making music with the bass.

That's just the way the words "sound" to me, though.

Wasn't there a thread about this forever ago?

6. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Simply put, a bassist can read, and a bass player cannot!!! :D That makes me a bass player. :rolleyes:

7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I guess that makes me a "bassist". Wow! Who could ever have imagined such a thing??? :)

8. I know what an audiophile is, man. I was just using that as an example. :)<p>
    Anyway, Personally, I prefer bass player. I'd rather have my trash picked up by a garbageman than a "sanitation technician. I'd rather have my car worked on by a mechanic than a "service technician". <p>
    In TV/radio/magazines/newspapers,etc. they used to say, "Blank, bass player for blank,died of a drug overdose at 27, today." Now they'd say, "Blank, bassist for blank, died of a drug over dose at 27, today" <p>
    I think I just like things more plain spoken, because things that use a more eloquent title seem to be more deceptive. And I am sick of Political correctness! Yes, I am Paranoid! <p>
    Also, I think a bassist plays a "Doghouse" not an electric.

9. jfsjbb

jfsjbb

Aug 29, 2000
    I'm not a native english speaker, so I don't quite get the difference. Please help me out:

If a bass player PLAYS the bass, what does a bassist do? Does he operate it? Handle it? IMHO it does not matter whether one is called bassist or bass player. In German we have only one word: "Bassist", which can mean anything from electric bassist to acoustic bassist to tuba player to singer. To me that's no loss of preciseness.

Just by the way: I think it was never your own choice to be a bassist, bass player or whatever you call yourself. The bass has decided that it wants to be played by you. From that very moment you're caught. But that's a different story worth talking about in a different thread.

10. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I am a bass player. I have not learned enough to actually call myself a bassist.

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Bassest/Bass Player, its all one in the same really? I prefer to be called a musician. After all thats what I am, I just happen to play the bass.

12. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    You can call me a musician, just DON'T CALL ME DUDE!

13. I don't think "bassist" denotes a higher level of ability than "bass player", I just think it's an alternate term, mostly used in the media. If someone writes an article about my band and they're naming the band members, it would probably say "bassist Dave Siff." It just reads better than "bass player Dave Siff."
    That said, I would prefer to be called "bass guitarist" because I think "bass" means upright.

14. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    "That said, I would prefer to be called "bass guitarist" because I think "bass" means upright."

Wouldn't the correct term actually be...
    "guitar bassist" ?
    If it is not a "Double bass"...it must be a "guitar bass"....:D

15. Umm.. I have a headache now!
    What I meant was, I think "bass" means upright, so the instrument I play is "bass guitar".. so that makes me a bass guitarist.

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    This is funny. I thought this thread was about comparing thetwo magazines (Bassist and BP). I guess I'll be modifying the title some.

As for the original question, I don't care as long as they say I'm good. ;)

Will C.:cool:

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Bassist....Bass Player....that dude with the guitar that has the long, big strings....

...I don't care what they call me, as long as:

1) They're dancing
    2) They're enjoying the music
    3) (Most importantly) They pay me at the end of the gig! ;)

18. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    I prefer BASS GOD! :D

Actually, I could care less what you call me.

This reminds me of a job postion I held a few years back. My title was "Manager of Facilities Operation" and my supervisor was "Director of Facility Administration". When he left for another position, the company eliminated his position and I then reported to someone else. This person decided I should now be called "Service Supervisor". Everyone kept coming up to me and saying how sorry they were that I got demoted, when in reality I still had the same job. My response was, they can call me anything they want to, as long as they still pay me the same. Titles don't mean $h!+.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Don't remind me :( - Bassist is now defunct. In Jazz I get called Bass Guitarist, but I think Bassist is shorter and easier to say.

20. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Which brings up another question. Is a bass fisherman a bassist or a bass catcher?

Everybody pay attention, there will be a test on this. :)