1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by johnny boy, May 11, 2010.

1. johnny boy

johnny boy

Feb 14, 2010
    Brighton uk
    Hi Guys

I have been playing blues for several years now and looking to dip my toe into progressive rock/ punk..so would really like some advice on which bass will do the job. At the moment I`m torn between the Epiphone Thunderbird 1V or the Pro 1V...as well as the Warwick Rockbass.....all feel and sound great, but are there any others which im missing, budget at £350 or $520.

2. i hate username

i hate username

Jan 9, 2006
    I have both an epiphone thunderbird and a rockbass fortress and i cannot reccomend the rockbass enough over the thunderbird.

That said what model rockbass is it. I know not all of them are amazing.

My experience with the thunderbird was fraught with problems. The bridge was a disaster(it was a old 3-point bridge not the bent metal one), the neck was clunky and the output was very low compared to other passive basses ive had and the neck dive broke my heart. Playing it really felt like a battle. The thing is it was my first bass and i was too poor at the time to get anything better.

My second bass was a rockbass fortress and i cannot say enough how big an improvement it was. No neck dive, active eq(if your in to that) sounded miles better as well. not the best bass by any stretch but moving from the Thunderbird to that was definitely an improvement. If you are going for a rockbass though, keep in mind that their are many import basses that are up to similar or better standards for the same price(ibanez,cort etc.)

I know that their are people who love thunderbirds and i was one of them...before i bought one. Their a hard thing to live with if you plan to use it as your main bass.

3. johnny boy

johnny boy

Feb 14, 2010
    Brighton uk
    Thanks for that..the balance is better on the pro 1V but still unevenely weighted, the Rockbass I have checked is the Corvette and the Streamer...may have to check out the Fortress too then.

4. johnny boy

johnny boy

Feb 14, 2010
    Brighton uk
    or prehaps Ibanez ATK 300 which sounds great but does`nt look to well made.

5. i hate username

i hate username

Jan 9, 2006
    Ibanez have a pretty good name for build quality as far as i know.That said ive never really loved one. They play great but theirs something missing about them for me.A good few of my friends swear by them.One of them runs his own studio has a collection of basses he could use if he wanted but always without fail will use his old,battered and cheap entry level BTB.

You'd actually be surprised at how many instrument at the lower end of the cost scale are made by the same company. for example Cor-tek make budget instruments for Ibanez, Parkwood, ESP, Schecter, G&L and Avalon.

I have had some QA issues with my rockbass but from what i have heard recently the entire rockbass line has been given a complete overhaul to make them more like the German made wick. They now have the wick 2 piece bridge for example

6. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    hi, I,ve got a pro 4 and it has a different bridge not the 3 point.
    I,ve moved the strap pin to the body and a wide leather strap with suede on the inside problem better now.Good rock tones and nice slim neck.
    try one out.

7. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    i have a t-bird pro 5 and love it. gotta make sure to check the pots though.