1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which TI Jazz Flats for 35" Scale?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassist4Life, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Use the 34 inch set

40.0%
  2. Use the 36 inch set

60.0%
  1. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Do you have a 35" scale bass? Do you use TI Jazz Flats? If so, please chime in.

I have a Yamaha TRB 1006 (35" scale) that I would like to setup with TI Jazz Flats. I have them on my P-Bass (fretted) and my J-Bass (fretless). These are the strings for me when it comes to sound and feel. My strings do not go thru-body.

As many of you know, TI's are expensive strings. I don't want to make a mistake.

I've searched and read through a few other posts on this topic, but they didn't seem to get into the tension issue very well.

If you take take strings designed for 34" scale and put them on a 35" scale bass, you're going to increase the tension of those strings, right?

I have read that the 36" scale TI's have higher tension than the 35" set; however, they wouldn't have higher tension on a 35" scale bass. Right? If you put strings designed for a longer scale bass on a shorter scale bass, you're going to have less tension. If my logic is correct, then I don't want the 36" scale set.

TI's are already low tension. I'm certain that I wouldn't want less tension.

My 1st concern is this:
    Will the 34" scale set fit (length) on my TRB 1006? The strings of concern are D & A. Those strings are closest to the tip of the headstock.

My 2nd concern is this:
    Will the B string be too thick for the nut groove?

My 3rd concern is this:
    Will the B string be too thick to fit through the bridge?

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Joe

2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    For those who are interested: I sent a message to Kevin Reynolds and he got right back to me with the following information concerning string length:

I wish that info was posted on the TI website.

He also assured me that the B string should fit through the bridge and the nut nicely.

Also, the string tension will be increased slightly due to strings designed for 34" being installed on a 35" bass. I don't have a problem with that. The TI's are already low tension strings with a supple and buttery feel.

I hope this info helps someone else.

Peace and good vibes,
    Joe

3. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Glad to see that you got a definitive answer with measurements.

The JF-345 set worked fine for me on a 35" Dean Edge fretless with a little tweaking. I ended up pulling about 1/8" of the silk back from the B string where it went through the nut and also had to file the nut B string slot just a little bit for the B string to seat all the way.

I think a 36" set would only work on a 35" bass if you had a string through body bridge.

Great strings, enjoy!!

Randy