Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which to buy...hartke or ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blong1, Dec 11, 2000.

1. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    hi all,
    over the last few weeks, i have been looking for a 4x10 cabinet and a 15" cab. i have narrowd it down to these to brands because i only have about $900.00 to spend on it. if i go with hartke, it will be the XL series. if ampeg, either the b series or the classic. <p>
    now i have listened to both brands and like them both, but i want some input from you guys on which to get. what do you all think? thanks for any advice given.

2. Hey, I have an Ampeg PR 410 HlF that I would like to sell.It is an awesome cab.It is practically brand new,I've only played it twice.If you or anyone else is interested ,let me know,or contact: jojocosmic@webtv.net

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    What Amp/Head are you Using?
    What Style of music do you play?

4. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    i have a hartke 4000 (400w 4ohms/(2) 220w 8 ohms) that i'll be using to run the cabinets. as far as music that i play, just a variety. a little funk, blues, metal... i need something that will give a good sound for all styles of music.

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I have a Hartke 2000 Head with an Ampeg Cab.
    What I have found is that Ampeg Cabs sound better with ampeg Heads.
    My recomendation would be to match your Hartke Head with Hartke Cabs.
    I would go with the Hartke 4.5 XL on top of a 1x15 Aluminum or Paper.
    Don even think about the Transporter series. Instead of that you could get a Peavey 410TX,TFX or TVX + a 115BW great sound for the money.

6. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    what is the difference in the peavey TFX and the TVX?

7. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I'm pretty sure about this: The "F" in TFX refers to front porting, as opposed to the old TX series. The TVX are front ported too, but have vinyl covering (V) instead of carpet. I believe the TVX is the only one in current production.

I think that is the only difference, but someone said the TVX line has been beefed up in terms of power handling too. Have you checked at http://www.peavey.com for details?

8. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    yeah, but the only one i can find is the tvx. i can't find any info on the tfx.

9. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    by the way, peavey's web site says that the TVX is carpeted.

10. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    That probably means they don't make the others anymore. But they are probably floating around retailers at closeout prices. Personally,I think the switch to vinyl was a step backward.

The Peavey site has a great tech support section. You post on the message board, and the answers are usually given within a few days. I think there is also an E-mail address for the sales department.

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    V is Vinyl.
    I think the same.. Vinyl is a step backward.

I really liked the sound of the peavey cabs when I tried them(Back In 97´). Very deep and punchy.

12. Flea24

Flea24

Apr 7, 2000
    the hartkes aluminum speakers don`t work well after they get cold

13. i'd go for the Classic Ampeg cabinets...i've run mine with Ampeg and non-ampeg heads and it sounds sweeeeeet with just about anything out there, tube or solid state. 400/500w program, 800/1000w peak handling (depending on which one you end up with! :q ) the 410hlf is nice in that with it's extended response design, there's not alot of need to run a separate 1x15 (or maybe even a 1x18) to get the low down.

14. i have a hartke B90 bass combo and it suits me well. its not as loud as you probably are looking for though. both give good tonal qualities but i like ampeg a wee bit better.

15. ETHYL

ETHYL

Dec 19, 2000
    Hi Blong1:

I use both the AMPEG 15" bass cab and AMPEG 4 X 10 top cab. The head is by Gallien-Krueger. I have been very happy with this bass rig thus far. I also tried the Hartke's but liked the tone that Ampeg gives. I'd recommend Ampeg.
    -My two cents.

Sincerely,
    ETHYL

16. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I'm playing Ampeg. But they have a huge variety of TYPES of cabinets. I was looking for high power-handling and PA-like extended frequency response. So I settled on the Ampeg 1832 Extreme. I didn't want the stock 410 sound though I enjoy it at times.

So it really isn't abput brand names as much as TYPES.

I also play through a Carvin 210 on top of either a Carvin 18 or a Peavey 15 that's in a custom cabinet tuned for less hump and more true low-end (trading off a little efficiency and ending up with a slightly larger package). Either combination bi-amped is pretty flat and delivers what I dial in. I have to say that Carvin really gives lots for the bux; if Bass Northwest hadn't given me such a great deal on the Ampeg I would have considered the Carvin stuff for myself.

Occasionally playing through a rig with more coloration is cool too though; it just depends what you are looking for : }

<-- greenboy ---<<<

17. hey guys,

well, just to be different, i've been using a peavey 115 bx bw cab with a hartke head (1400) and it is sweet as! i love it. the cab retails for about $1400 Aust. and the head about $700 Aust.

does anyone know if peavey make a 410 bx bw, coz i really like the sound of the black widow speakers, and want to extend my equipiment, but i don't want to miss match my cabs and stuff up the whole works.

and one advantage of the black widows: they have seperate baskets and cones, so if ya blow one, that's the only bit ya have to replace, not the whole speaker.

later
    lexy

18. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i personally prefer swrs, fenders, and gks. I would look into a SWR golliath III (saw one on ebay for $510 plus shipping) if you don't need to or don't want to test the cabinet before buying it.