Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which to get? Lakland Vs. MTD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Poon, Aug 19, 2004.

Which Bass Should Be My Next

Poll closed Oct 18, 2004.
  1. MTD Saratoga With Amber Finish and Maple Board

20 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne 5 Black Finish and Maple Board

19 vote(s)
    48.7%
  1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm debating between these two 5 strings. I love both brands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd probably make the pickguard black on it though.

Help me oh wise Talkbass commmunity.

2. Depends what kinda sound your after..

IMO,
    Vintage, go with the JO.
    Modern, go with the MTD.

Personally i'll all be over that MTD... damn thats nice.. esp with the Maple board.. I think it was even offered with a Wenge board as well..

Having stated that, i don't think you could go wrong with either bass.. both excellent basses from awesome companies!!

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Geez! What a toughie!!!!

I've played 'em both and think they're equally wonderful instruments!

IMO, however, the Lakland has the edge for flexibility.

4. yep.

5. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I say the Lakland, I tested out one of those at Lowdownsound they sound fantastic, it was a 4 string blue one, all passive. Real solid punchy tone. Also I think the Lakland looks better too, that's just my opinion though.

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I've never really understood what the terms "vintage" and "modern" meant when describing tone...

Could you (or anyone) explain in more detail what characteristics these vintage and modern tones have?

7. Well, when i say vintage. Think tones on records from the 60's and 70's.. also associated with Fender P's & J's.
    Think Motown, John Paul Jones... etc etc.

Modern, they sound a little more clearer.. focused.. more attacked.. smoother.. i guess.

im not the best person to describe this tho.. someone else may wanna pitch in!

8. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I'd say get the Lakland, but it all boils down to what sound you like more.
    I prefer fenderesque tones because that type of sound sounds good in just about every situation. Plus they are more accepcted by producers, bands ect...

Honestly if I were you, I'd save my money and get something even better. but I am not you now am I?

9. alansan

alansan

Mar 12, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    A few of the most obvious examples of vintage and modern fingerstyle tones (all slapping, tapping, flamenco strumming etc. aside for simplicity) according to my completely subjective ear:

Vintage tone:
    James Jamerson, p-bass on Marvin Gaye's 'Whats going on'
    John Paul Jones, j-bass on Led Zepplin's 'The Lemmon Song'
    Paul McArtney, rickenbacker on The Beatles 'Paperback writer'
    *Jaco Pastorius, fretted j-bass on his own 'Come on come over'
    Bootsy Collins, (bass model?) on James Brown's 'Sex Machine'

All these basses have a similar sound which I would descibe as big, warm, smooth and horn-like. Typically charactarized by the use of flatwound strings, passive electronics and often played nearer the neck pick-up.

Modern tone:
    Flea, Stingray on RHCP's 'Funky monks'
    Les Claypool, fretless Carl Thompson on Primus' 'Jerry the racecar driver'
    Tony Levin, Stingray on Peter Gabriel's 'Sledge Hammer'
    Nick Carn, fretless Wal on his own 'Tooth Mother'
    John Entwistle, (bass model) on The Who's 'My Generation'

While all these basses have very different sounds I would describe them all as focussed, trebley (aka bark and growl) with emphasized mid-frequencies. Typically charactarized by the use of roundwound strings, active electronics and often played nearer the bridge pick-up.

*I still havn't heard a fretless tone that I like more than Jaco's simple lines on Jonni Mitchell's 'Off Night Back Street' (from the album 'Don Juan's Reckless Daughter'). The sound of wood singing.

10. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Those are both beautiful. I'm leaning towards the MTD tho. :ninja:

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

MTD all the way! I love that wide string spacing and maple neck!! I love MTD basses and I think they are the best basses for your money! The JO is also a fine bass with a vintage look and sound and if that is what you're after, then do consider it.

12. soholounge

soholounge

Aug 11, 2004
    Colorado
    once i started playing MTD, i could never go back to a vintage feeling neck... always wanted to play vintage fenders, but just couldn't deal with the non-mtd neck.
    the MTD neck is just killer, IMO. but i'm sure that JO sounds great~ probably can do some vintage sounds that the saratoga can't do...

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hmmm,,,now THIS really IS a tough choice...
    Everyone's probably figured out, I like Laklands. But, have never been able to find ANY MTD's in this corn field called Ohio.

JO's are sweet, but holy smokes... I don't think I could refuse that 'Toga.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

The solo from My Generation was played on a Danelectro with flatwounds. The story goes that he keep breaking strings trying to play the solo, but the store didn't have replacement strings, so he ended up buying a Danelectro everytime he broke a string. :D

I definitely wouldn't call that sound modern though. For me it's more like this

Classic Rock/Blues/Classic RnB/70's Funk/Classic Country Recordings = Vintage

While when I think of modern, I picture somebody playing an Alembic, Smith, Fodera using a lot of eq to get a sound that is very smooth and hi fi.

15. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow...how the tables have turned. Last time I looked the Saratoga was beating the JO5. But now it's gone in reverse. Who knows what I'll get. If you guys haven't checked it out yet, I already have a Saratoga 5 with a rosewood fretboard and I already have a Lakland 55-02D. And I love both of em. The Saratoga is definitely more modern sounding, but my Lakland has such a great Fender-esk / Stingray-esk tone. Does anyone know where Dan Lakin is right now. I've been e-mailling him recently, and I haven't heard from him. He's usually pretty quick about getting back to me.

-Poon

16. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Im sure they both sound great, If you agree than go for playability and comfort.

17. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    If you need just this little thing to make up your mind: 'Saratoga' sounds infinitely more sexy than 'Joe Osborne'.

But I read you already have two basses that are kind of related to the two basses you are thinking of getting...why not buy a complete different kind of instrument? (Then again, just this week, I bought my second Status Energy bass...so in a way I'm getting you completely...)

18. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bingo... :p

Ya know, I've tried a lot of other "sounds" and aside from really high end stuff, I'm pretty happy with the sound of those two companies. The 55-02 that I have has more versatility and it's great for Rock Stuff (which I play pre-dominately), but the Saratoga has such bite and clarity that is great for Jazz and more agressive recordinds. My only piff with the Saratoga is the Plastic Knobs. The great thing about going through basses of the same time (for example I've owned 3 different Peavey Cirrus) is that each one of them sounded different because of the wood. So I'm hoping if I get the Saratoga it will have a slightly different character due to the different board and different pickups. But I could just go for a pure passive J-Bass sound...I'm still stuck. And does anyone know where I could get pickguards made for the JO5. If I were to get the one in black, i'd want to get the black pickguard too. Maybe I could call Dan Lakin and have him send me one. Anyway, enough rambling.

19. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm still torn fellas. Help me out.
    :help: