Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which to keep Stingray or MIA Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Morales, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Johnny Morales

Johnny Morales

Mar 9, 2006
    I'm a relatively new bassist (have been a guitarist for many years) - just getting into the bass. I recently picked up a new American Jazz and subsequently got a really good deal on a mint Stingray 4. (good enough deal that I could easily turn around and sell it for a profit on e-bay). Anyway, I can't afford to keep them both. Wanted suggestions on which one is an overall better bass for classic rock, jazz, and a bit of funk/slapping.

I love the tone and solid feel of the Stingray - but the tone is not appropriate for all styles. And I love the neck on the Fender Jazz and the variety of tones I can get, but it doesn't cut through like the Stingray. I'll probably regret selling either, but which one will be the better bass to keep for a one bass setup?

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    You are mostly likely going to get a bunch of answers but they will average out to be 50/50. Personally. I would get rid of the MIA. NOTHING beats the tone of a Stingray. And a stingray is appropriate for damn near any genre you throw at it.

3. I'd personally keep the Jazz, but simply because I like the tone better. The quality of each instrument will be equally high so you couldn't necessarily go wrong on that end. You should keep whatever you think sounds best. If you grow tired of it, sell it and get the other.

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

They both have their pros and cons, you should keep both. If you had to sell one, sell the SR, I can't really imagine that sound being comparable to a Jazz sound for jazz. It's really up to what sound you want.

5. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Keep the Stingray. I think you'll find it works well in everything if you just give it a chance.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Keep the one you like the most. If you dig the Stingray tone, keep it. Lots of people play Stingrays in lots of styles. It's up to the bassist to tame the tone.

7. Rocknrolljunkie

Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    if you sell your SX, squier and 2 fenders you have enough to buy a stingray yourself:ninja: but indeed stingrays have really good tone and are very versatile. i have none of them :crying:

8. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I would go for the Jazz Bass, simply because I am a Jazz Bass enthusiast.

9. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

LOL how do you figure? My '73 I can sell for over a grand... the Geddy for $550. That along is more than enough for a 'ray. And I can get a lot more than that for the '73. I'm being conservative.

10. Johnny Morales

Johnny Morales

Mar 9, 2006
    I'm going to continue to play both of them for another week or so to see which one I tend to pick up more. I'm leaning toward keeping the Jazz only because the neck feels alot more comfortable to me.

11. I'm not going to tell you that it's "all subjective", and that you should "keep whatever bass you like the most", and that "none of us can tell you which to keep and which to sell". No. I'm going to tell you to keep the Stingray.

Keep the Stingray.

12. thekyle

thekyle

Dec 25, 2005
    Breckenridge, CO
    I love Fender. I love Fender so much I would sell any Fender and buy any Music Man.

Sometimes I make no sense.

Lose the Fender.

13. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    A Jazz does. :D By a wide margin.

14. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Sting Ray. Not as "unversatile" as some would say.

15. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I´ve owned both of them, and they´re quite different. I personally prefer the MIA Jazz, mainly because of the neck shape (I don´t dig Stingray / Precision neck shape).

They´re both great basses, but your opinion is what counts at last. Compare every aspect of them and then decide.

16. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Without a doubt. The unversatility thing is BS. Change your hand position. Change your EQ. There are lot's of different tones in there. The Stingray gets a bad rap for only having one pickup, yet I never hear anyone complaining about P basses not being versatile.

In other words, I say go for the Stingray! (Or whichever one you like better.)

17. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

completely relative. I like Stingray's tone better than a Jazz's ;)

18. The jazz bass has a thinner neck profile, which impacts how it feels. But sometimes you just crave that fat neck feel of a ray or p-bass. Give yourself a little time to let it come naturally, float to the top. Which one do you think about playing when you wake up in the morning?

I use both SR5's and jazz basses. I'm lucky to be able to have both because they are quite different in tone. I always gravitate back towards the jbas I must admit however.

19. +1. Tone isn't all in the bass, either. You can use the amp tone controls, obviously, and also how you personally attack the strings. I used to use a Rick in a big band setting and got a lot of comments on what a geat tone I got. It was a lot to do with how I played it, first, and then amp settings, second. Ricks aren't usually the first choice for big band so it was an interesting twist to the situation.

Keep the one you like best. Sounds to me like the Stingray would be your choice. Good luck!

20. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I don't think I'm out of line in saying Ernie Ball has an edge on quality control and that the general concensus here seems to be (although admitedly only anecdotal) that bass for bass, you'd get a higher number of Music Mans without flaws coming out of the factory than you will Fenders.

Now, that being said, I've owned two USA Fender Jazz basses, a 5 string Deluxe and a 4 string fretless deluxe. Both were players. Both had excellent build quality I thought and I enjoyed them both.

For me, though, it has come down to the fact I'm just not a jazz bass guy (it took me long enough to admit that) and that I prefer the sounds I can get out of a Sting Ray.

Although I'd recommend a Sting Ray, you can't really go wrong with either. There are two completely different sounds going on there IMHO.