Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which to match with J-Retro - Dimarzio Ultra J's or Bartolini J's?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Dimarzio Ultra J's

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Bartolini 9J#1 - "P-Bass* pair in box"

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Bartolini 9CBJD1 - Deep Tone

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Bartolini 9CBJD3 - Bright Tone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I have a MIA Fender Jazz - alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, string-through bridge - with a J-Retro on board. Which would be a better match with the J-Retro: Dimarzio Ultra J's or Bartolini J's? I prefer classic rock, but want to be versatile while still sounding like a Jazz. I'd like a balanced sound.

2. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I myself personally love the Ultra J's and I think that would make a killer combination to have on a MIA Fender Jazz. So I would say go for the Ultra J's, I got them on my modded SX Jazz and they really make me happy. But I suggest getting different sound clips of each of the types of pickups you want. That will really help you make a good decision, and you won't be let down.

3. bump

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    did you look in the pickups faq? There's a link to a thread of mine which has clips of a bunch of pickups including the barts and dm's

5. Thanks! I'll download a few of these and give them a listen. Which do you think would work best with the J-Retro?

6. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Ive been told that the J-retro if fairly tansparent. So any of those pickups would be fine. If you want a darker smoother sound, go for the barts, if you are into a more modern punchier sound, get the dimarzios.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, the UJ's sounds amazing on their own but IMO get lost in the mix a bit since the sound is a bit scooped. I've never tried the bart bright tone, but either of the 9j or 9cb should do you. The 9j's have a bit more low mid growl imo.

8. I was thinking about the Bart 9J's since I heard your sound clips. The UJ's sounded too bassy without definition, and the Barts did have a nice growl to them. Thanks!