1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which to trade -- fuzz or grunge?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Swimming Bird, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I feel I'm in need of an overdrive as I have two effects that are essentially both fuzz: an original DOD Bass Grunge and an American reissue Big Muff Pi.

Which do I get rid of? The BMP is a classic, but the Bass Grunge is far more versatile.

Also, I was thinking of getting the Hartke Bass Attack as my OD. Is that a terrible idea?

Does anyone have experience with an OD that will sound good on wildly different basses? My main basses are a fretless six-string and five-string ABG.

Thanks for the help.

2. If you find they are different pedals, can you keep them both? Maybe not on the same board if you don't want them together, but you never know when you might like to mix it up a bit.

Otherwise, I personally would keep the Big Muff for no other reason than my personal preference.

3. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Addendum: I use them at different places in the chain, but I only want one of those places as a fuzz and the other would sound better as an OD.

My chain:

GR-20 >> Whammy IV >> env. filter >> FUZZ >> EQ >> wah >> OD >> etc

Where FUZZ is currently the BMP. I find them too similar to keep both.

4. Keep the DOD Bass Grunge ! Very few compact great-sounding pedals offer a blend knob and controls for both lows and highs these days... No, I don't want to talk about the Boss ODB-3 guys :p

5. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Personally I say get rid of both.

Since I don't know what music you play I can't recommend a replacement.

So I'll leave this post at the very unhelpful stage :D

6. So far the poll is:

1 to lose the muff
    1 to lose the DOD
    1 to lose them both

Hope that makes the decision a bit easier :)

7. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    karatekid: "sigh"

Sort of poppy ambient, but it varies. See my myspace for songs.

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Sell em both and get a Subdecay Flying Tomato or a MI Audio Neo Fuzz ;)

But I've not listened to your music as I can't get on myspace at work but I will later tonight.

9. I dunno which one you should get rid of, from what I hear they're both quite excellent. If you do get rid of the bass grunge though, let me know, I've been looking for one of those for ages!

-Lokkenjawnz

10. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Thanks for the input y'all, but I just went ahead and did the trades today:

I swapped the BMP along with two Dunlop wahs (one bass, one not) for a Tube Works 301 Rock and a Morley Pro. I just put both on the board and rearranged everything to my liking and I got the exact sounds I was hoping for and more. w00t

The versatility and rareness of the Bass Grunge beat out the classic sounds of the BMP.