Which Tone is Better for the song?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DJ5

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. TMB605

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Wait till you buy another Sadowsky outboard for your DJ5.

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. That Pedulla is sweet too!

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

The first and most recent track with on my Ibanez TMB605. The second and oldest is my Lakland DJ5. Both have errors toward the end. I can knew the song better by the time I recorded with the Ibanez. While playing the Ibanez my youngest daughter came in asked to get the car keys.:smug:

I added my Pedulla later. It is a whole other thing, but I love it! You can vote for the Pedulla now too.

Update: We finally played the song today as you can hear on the bottom clip. I used the Pedulla with a pick because of an injured index finger. The soundman forgot to turn on the singer’s mics.:cool:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Pbassmanca and Mr_O'B like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I actually like them both. But the DJ5 has that thump. The TMB, while brighter, seems too "polite" and refined. The DJ5 just has that old-school buttah! More thump and it reacts to your playing more.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I like the DJ5 as well. That said, it might be different with a whole slew of other frequencies (band) involved. But I agree with @two fingers that it has tha ‘buttah’.

f

two fingers and Dr. Cheese like this.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Slightly off topic, I believe Ibanez copied Fender five string necks for the TMB605. It feels good, but the necks on my DJ5 and Pentabuzz are better. In fact they are perfect for my tastes.

5. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I listened to the entire first video.

My mind was made up the first "couple thumps" on the DJ5!
    DJ5 wins hands down, but the Ibanez does sound good! :):thumbsup:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I put my Pedulla in the mix too.:bassist:

lowdownthump and fcleff like this.
  7. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    I vote for the DJ as well

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  8. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I like this better than the DJ5. But it may be that you are using fingerstyle instead of slap. Maybe use fingers on the DJ5? But the Pedulla sounds great.
    f

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    My Pedulla has become my number one church bass unless I want slap because I can make it sound fretted pretty easily when want to.

lowdownthump and fcleff like this.
  10. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I was listening on my phone and had to go back again to catch those fretless slides. Slick! I still vote Pedulla.

f

lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  11. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    Pedulla

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I listened to my Pedulla through my car stereo and the tone of the bass is remarkable. The clarity and definition of the tone for finger style is fantastic. I may put on some strings with more zing than these Sadowsky nickels just to hear what the slap tone might sounds like.

jumbodbassman and lowdownthump like this.
  13. I too voted Pedulla it sounds awesome

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    Completely out of context I personally like the tone of the Ibanez the best, lovely sizzling and snappy with a good amount of bite and punch and a cetain cheekyness to it, just like I prefer it.

The Pendula might be the right call for the song though.

It has kind of a nice mellow and round very clean tone without for that reason getting dull and still maintaining a certain richness to it.

A bit hard to say though since I am not really familiar with the song and the backing track is really low in the mix on those videos.

The Lakland is just dull and uninspiring sounding in my opinion.

But judging from the votes so far apparently that is just me.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Dr. Cheese likes this.
  15. metermech

metermech SMOOVE ONE

Mar 17, 2008
    The DJ sounds good but I voted the TMB605. It seems like it will sit right in the mix if you're playing live with the same instruments that are on the song. The TMB605 seems more lively to me and drives the song if that makes sense. It just seemed to have a more interesting sound just incase you don't have the all the instruments. It's all good though. Keep on posting them...

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I play with keyboards, drums, voices. The mix is not dense.

17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    As Bass Viking has said a few times, I need to upgrade my recording capability. My little pa/amp combo is about gone.

18. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    If you decide to play slap, the Lakland. If you decide to play pizzicato, the Pedulla.

Dr. Cheese and smogg like this.
  19. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    I think I liked the sound of the Ibanez most. Of the 2 slap examples, it seems to compliment the song best.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  20. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    ^^^^ what smtp4me said^^^^ :thumbsup:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021