Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Top Wood Should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Sep 8, 2005.

1. I am trying to decide on a top wood to go with this piece of mahogany. It is a piece of genuine cuban mahogany that has been drying for about 55 years. It is beautiful!

I am thinking if I go with a dark top (wenge, cocobolo, goncalo alves) it would have a 1/16" maple accent strip. If I went with a light top (spalted maple, zebra, spalted beech) it would have a wenge accent strip. The woods I am considering are the ones I mentioned. I don't think I will do a back. The mahogany is beautiful and I would like to have it exposed. I am having an oil and wax finish done on it.

Here is the piece of mahogany:
    [​IMG]
    Here it is with a little water on it (poor man's naptha):
    [​IMG]

Let me know what you think would look good with it.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    What about Ziricote?

3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I think that maple would look good with it. Fodera does that, and they pull it off really well.

Other than that... some sort of redwood burl of flame redwood?

Hmm... Id perhaps go with a flame or a quilt... maybe a burl would be a bad idea.
    I dont like the idea of ziricote.

Nothing spalted.

I LOVE mahogany, but I have the same problem of having nothing to match it.

4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Of the dark woods you´ve mentioned I prefer Cocobolo.
    Just imagine the color combination of an Alembic.
    It looks gorgeous.

5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Ooh Oohh...
    Bloodwood.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    DUDE! It had been drying for 55 years and you put water on it! Now it's been drying for one day. You have to start all over and wait 55 more years before you can build your bass.

... what an incredible faux pas.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

That's ok...it'll be dry again by the time he finds a 55 year old neck blank to match.

8. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Exactly..why do you think they use naptha to show off the grain. Sheesh.. nice play Shakespeare :confused: :eek: :scowl:

OOPSIE

9. It was water on a paper towel, and that is not the piece I am actually using. The piece I am using is big enough to do a one piece body. That was just one of the pieces from the 3,000 pounds of it this guy has!?!?!

Give a guy some credit!