Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which tube for Hartke 5000?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OVERDRIVEN66, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Was thinking of experimenting with the 12AX7 preamp tube in my Hartke 5000. Have any of you done this? What difference did the tube swap make in terms of tone? Did the brand of tube make much difference or is it worth even messing with? I really like the Ampeg type tone, but like the crossover in the 5000 as well as the tone shaping options.

2. I asked about this same thing about a month ago for my HA3500 and a friendly TB'er told me to try a "Groove Tube" GT-12ax7M.The M is for Mullard....I guess this tube is supposed to be a copy of the old type tubes people are looking for. Anyway I ordered it over the net and I love it......it's much warmer than the Soviet tube that was in the amp before. Also now my tube pre is at 3 oclock and ss is at 9 oclock and sounds great IMO. I'm no expert in this but I do know I like the sound of this tube..........

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Truth be told, you won't get an Ampeg sound by swapping one 12AX7, specially in the Hartke IMO. But a GT's would be a nice tube in there.

4. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I swapped in a GT on my 3500 and it does warm up a little more, not a huge difference, but noticable enough.

5. Thanks, guys. I'll try the different tubes and letya know how it goes. Just got a coupla Avatar cabs and dying to hone it up to optimum tone.

6. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Iswapped in a JJ when I had my 3500 and got a lot of warmth and high end definition too. Very nice upgrade. The one that comes from factory is crap.

ANDRUCA

7. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I switched out my GT 12AX7 in my Hartke 5000 and put in an EHX12AX7 and I thought I got more punch out of it and it cleaned it up a little bit but the GT I had in there was from around 94 from what the previous owner had told me and the first year I had the Hartke I beat the crap out of it before I put it in a rack so it might have gotten loose.

8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Ok, I just got a GT-12AX7-M for my Hartke 5000. Now, any pointers on replacing it? I have never done one of these before. Anything to watch out for?

9. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    uh... unplug your amp, or zap