Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which tuner to buy?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Z4NC, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Z4NC

Z4NC

Jul 19, 2003
    I'm slowly but surely getting my setup and now I need to buy a quality tuner for my bass. Which tuner do you use to tune your bass?..thanks in advance.

Not sure if this is right forum, so feel free to move.

2. I use a panasonic tuner, but your local music store should have plenty to choose from. It's a good little tuner; I really like it.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fender ST-12 or something. Also the tuner on my Digitech BP200 is good.

4. I have had trouble with a Fender tuner in the past. I am not sure if it was "guitar-only" but it hardly picked up my bass signals at all. It was my friend's tuner, and it steered me away from Fender tuners.

5. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    If you play live a lot, i reccomend the boss TU-2 tuner pedal. It's great for tuning on and off stage, and very accurate. it can mute the sound as you tune up, which is a great option for those aquard gig moments! i've seen so many pro bands use these. great pedal.

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    +1

7. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Um.. I use an Ibanez one and my BP200 when I'm lazy...

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Boss TU-2

9. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Peterson Virtual Strobe II. About $200. A bit expensive, but extremely accurate. For example, the best rack-mount tuners are accurate to + or minus 2 cents; the Peterson is accurate to +/- 1/100 of one cent.

You may not need this much tuner. But if you do your own intonation adjustments, you'll love it.

I also like that it is NOT rack mount. I like being able to tune before a set off-stage.

10. murdermilk

murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    I've got some no-name brand, but first thing I do whenever I see my guitarist is check my bass against his Boss pedal. Good stuff.

11. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Boss TU-2.

I'll bet you hear that a lot.

12. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I want SOOOOO bad to like the Korg DTR 1 & 2. That cyborg like sweeping light looks so cool! But I can't tune accurately with it. I'm always a little off, and that irritates the dickens out of me. I can never get dual green lights indicating that i'm in tune. The Sabine RT1601 is the best tuner that I've found. I tune down a half step, so I learned that in transpose mode, when I'm actually tuning Bb, Eb, Ab, Db/C#, Gb/A#, B/Cb I can get the tuner to register BEADGC. That's great!!

So I say find one of the old RT 1600's or RT 1601's. You can't go wrong.

13. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
  14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I gotta go against Mario with this one, the Korg DTR-2 is a Godsend... he's right, the Cyborg looks cool as hell, but when it comes down to it, a band with three of these will be very together. I have the Korg wired with a tuner, and all my guitars, basses, double bass, and saxes are kept in perfect tune.

But I'll still put another vote in for the BOSS TU-2, it's discrete, it works, and it tunes well too. I opted out of mine for space on my pedalboard.

15. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD

It's a free democratic society. If you can work with the Korg's, then more power to ya. I just can't and prefer the Sabine. Ironically, I also have the little Korg CA-30 Chromatic tuner for back up. That thing is incredibly accurate and I'm able to tune my Smith 6 just fine. Although I have to remember what notes I'm trying to reach. I think it has the transpose function as well, I just haven't taken the time to figure it out.

16. Recently picked up a Boss TU-2 after losing a Seiko that I'd had for years. I really like the TU-2. Very quick to lock on to a note even on the B string.

17. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    Anyone willing to share thoughts about tuners that come as a bonus in multi-effects units? I know of some units that have a tuner (like some Boss, Korg, Digitech models, G-Major from TC Electronics, ...). Are they easy to use and accurate?

I have been using my simple small battery powered Korg for years. It works fine for me, but I get tired of changing batteries (tend to run flat only at an inconvenient moment :meh: ) Also I would like to get the tuner into the rack, since getting rid of any unnecessary loose wires is a Good Thing. But I don't want to dedicate a whole unit of rack space to tuning. Keeping my bass rig compact and transportable is also a Good Thing :cool:

18. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i own and love my Korg DTR-2000. I find it to be accurate in the hertz mode, and even more accurate for when I set intonation in the 'strobe' mode, which isnt really strobe..its a fake strobe...

the external mic is pretty handy for acoustic instruments