1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Tuner?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ox Boris, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    I have an Ampeg PF500, what tuner should I plug into the "tuner out" jack?
    Can I plug a Peterson Strobe Stomp Classic pedal into it? Should I?

I want the most convenient, efficient way of tuning up four strings before each set. Nothing needs to be fast.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yes. That's a really nice tuner.

I have never had any problems with my old trusty TU-2 though.

Technology has reached the point that you would be hard pressed to find a "bad" pedal tuner. But the Peterson is a nice one.

3. stevecaronna

stevecaronna Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    St Rose Louisiana
    I have the StroboPlusHD and it is an awesome tuner. It is actually less expensive than the peterson stomp.

4. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    I mention the Peterson pedal because I've seen one on sale. But I don't need all the stuff it has, I'm not sure if I can use a pedal in the tuner jack and if I can't, it seems a waste of a jack, especially as it'd be my only pedal.
    I must say that I like the idea of walking up clicking a pedal, tuning up and clicking again to turn it off, but it doesn't have to be a pedal.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  5. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    H9 MAX

blindrabbit likes this.
  6. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    Cool, can you help me dress like a snugglemuffin, too? I have my own sandals.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The Korg GA tuner is inexpensive, and works great. Not a pedal, but it would fit right on your head.

Ox Boris likes this.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I usually get great results from clip-on tuners, no plugging in required. If you want a recommendation: Korg.

If you've already decided on a plug-in tuner, then never mind my 2ยข. :)

9. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    Turbo Tuner.

It's a better tuner and it's probably still less expensive than the Peterson on sale.

Strobe Tuners by Sonic Research - Turbo Tuner Home Page

BTW, I have a Peterson StroboRack, so I am familiar with their tuners. I stopped using the StroboRack because the Turbo Tuner was faster and more accurate. MHO...:thumbsup:

Ox Boris likes this.
  10. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    My guess is that, if you have a tuner out jack on your amp/head, you should be able to plug any tuner into it. I have that on all of my amps, have used that jack on all of them with a few different tuners, and it always worked fine.

That Peterson is a nice tuner and would surely do the job but, if you want to go cheaper, the TC Electronic Polytune's and Polytune Mini's get a lot of love around here. Both of them pop up used here for even less. I've bought both a Polytune and a Polytune Mini used here on TB, got great deals on them, and have been very happy with them. The Korg Pitchblack seems to be another common one that's reasonably priced.

And, if you want to go even cheaper, the Snark clip-on tuners are under $20 and the one I have worked well enough for me to buy a couple of them so I have one in each gig bag as a backup.

Ox Boris likes this.
  11. I use the tuner in my shure glxd wireless for shows. It's great because I have a tiny pedalboard (pedaltrain mini) and can plug in the pedalboard offstage and restring and or tune before shows.

But most tuners will do the trick main thing is you want to avoid tone suck and you want something visable. For example my little korg handheld tuner I use in the studio is very accurate and all but visability sucks in dark clubs or bright sunlight.

Ox Boris likes this.
  12. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    +1 for the Turbo Tuner, really happy with my ST-300 mini.

As for the TU-2, keep in mind that it's now technically the least-accurate and slowest pedal tuner available.

Ox Boris likes this.
  13. Get an older Turbo 200 used, there should be plenty in the GASsifieds as people ditch the old one to buy the newer smaller 300.

If you've got a remote mute switch to kill the signal to your speaker from the front of the stage, I'd recommend a LARGE tuner (Rack or "Pedal") so you can see it from wherever your mute switch is without having to go back to your amp/tuner to read it :

tu-1000_top.

[​IMG]

Carl-Martin-Guitar-Pedal-tuners.

[​IMG]

stroborack_equ.

ProfFrink and Ox Boris like this.