1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Tuner

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Denial54, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Denial54

Denial54

Jan 26, 2007
    Ok, i've narrowed my tuner search to 3,

Korg DT-10BR Chromatic Pedal Tuner,
    I like this tuner because i know korg is a good company and have heard many good things about this model, such as very accurate and durable. I also like that it is a pedal and simple design. But the only problem is the price tag.

Sabine STX1100 Chromatic auto tuner
    I havent heard much about this company, is their anyone out there that has anything to say about this company or tuner? I like that is has the same qualitys as the Korg DT-10BR exept it isnt a pedal. This is more in my price range.

Planet Waves Chromatic Pedal Stage Tuner
    I know planet waves is a good company but does anyone have anything to say about their tuners. I like the fact that this is a pedal like the korg and has a simple design. How is it's accuracy and durability. This price tag is a little hefty but it could be worth it.

Does anyone have anything to say about these tuners or even just the company's, also if their is another model I should consider feel free to name it. Is the Sabine a good deal or should I go for the Korg DT-10? Any comment is appreciated thanks.

2. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    One of the best tuners I have used and still use all the time is the IntelliTouch tuner. It clips on to any instrument. It is calabratable to for instance, a piano you are forced to play with. It is highly sensitive and accurate. And the best part- you can read the huge display in the dark or out in the broad daylight. It won't mar the finish on an instrument and although more than a cheap quartz tuner, it is less than most high end pedal or rack tuners.

JKT :bassist:

3. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I'd go with either the Boss TU-2, since I love it

OR

The Planet Waves one, since it's easy-to-read and true-bypass.

I hear nothing but great things about the intellitouch, though.

4. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    If you use the Search function and type in any of those tuners, you'll find plenty of info. You'll quickly notice that Boss and Korg dominate most bassists' pedalboards when it comes to tuning.

Having owned a Planet Waves tuner pedal, I can say that it's a nearly indestructible pedal, very readable, bright, and accurate. However, it has a noise issue with muting, albeit a minor one with the current models. The older ones had a worse problem. D'Addario (the owner of Planet Waves) offers a fix, however. Search for the threads I made about it if you're curious.

I'd try one out, since it's the cheapest good tuner pedal out there, and if it doesn't give you problems, keep it. The price tag may seem hefty, but it's a steal compared to other good tuners on the market.

The Korg DT-10BR, DT-10BK, and original DT-10 are all the same pedal - just with different looks. Korg is renowned for their excellent rack tuners, and the pedal one is no exception. Some people are bugged by the fact that it's not true bypass, but I've also heard it has a great buffered bypass. Don't believe all the hype about true bypass (I believe a good buffered bypass can actually be better in some circumstances), but if the pedal you settle on has buffered bypass, make sure to try it out with your setup first.

I currently own a Korg rack tuner (the DTR-1000), and it rocks! If I ever go back to a tuner pedal, it'll definitely be a Korg.

I haven't tried the Sabine, but search for info on this forum about Sabine tuners to find out what others have to say.

5. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    I would rate the Korg as excellent and the Boss as very good. I don't know abouth the Korg however, but the Boss has the soooo useful DC OUT plug which makes it really worth it

6. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I'm guessing you're using the Boss daisy chain?

The DC out jack loses its purpose if you have a power supply brick.

IMO, for those using a lot of different brands of pedals, it's the least important feature of the Boss TU-2 tuner, because they'll likely be using some other power supply anyway.

7. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I was in the market for a tuner a little while ago and bought the DT-10. I love it, the display is very simple to read, I have no problems with the bypass, and like how accurate it is. The only problems I have with it are the slightly larger size then the TU-2 and the location of the input and output, I would rather they were on the side. Besides that it is the perfect pedal tuner for bass imo.

8. Korg. Without a doubt the best in that price range.

9. Yep, I've only tried the Boss and the Korg but I have the Korg and love it.

10. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have a Korg DT2 in my rack and just love it. I had the first edition korg rack tuner when they first came out in the early nineties and it was also a great unit. I havent been without a Korg rack tuner since 1992. If I was to get a pedal tuner, it would be the Korg DT10 for sure.

11. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    +1

I love my Korg DT-10. It has seen a lot of road and it still works.

12. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    The Korg DT-10 is a good choice.

13. for the same price as a tuner...the zoom B2 comes with a great tuner built in...

I only ever tune up before the gig [tuners getting knocked a little in the gig bag, etc...]...after that, I'm good to go for days...

14. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i've been running the KORG DT-10 for about 3 years now & it's the sh!t dude. it's seen alot of miles & have never had any issues with it, plus you can droptune if you wish. Kudos to KORG

15. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    yes it's what I meant.

well I don't know.. if you don't have a pedalboard, you won't have a supply brick usually. Personnally I just have a power strip, with an AC adapter powering the TU-2, and then daisy chaining my other Boss pedals and Dunlop 105Q (and prolly the Morley if I go for it), and then being an EHX whore it's necessary to have a PSU for each it for those units, so.. the power brick wouldn't be too useful :)

and the daisy chain feature is very ineresting if you're just a regular guy with 2 or 3 pedals :)

16. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I'm guessing you've got a 24V EHX pedal? Welcome to my world... the only affordable brick out there that can power both an ordinary 9VDC pedal and a 24VDC positive-ground EHX pedal would be the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2. But my board's too small for one of those... :meh:

But if you've got something like a Small Clone... there's 1/8" adapter plugs out there that can snap onto daisy chains and eliminate the power problem.

17. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    ive been using a korg dt-10 since 2003 and its seen a lot of gigs and (accidental) abuse. it still works fine and is very accurate. i would definately reccomend it.

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

My Boss TU-2 works great and sounds transparent to me. The muting function is extremely handy!!

19. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    go with the korg. i have one and it works great.

used to have the boss tu-2. the boss, and i believe the planet waves as well, have an accuracy of +/- 3 cents which is crap - you can hear it, not to mention it's useless for setting intonation.

JR

20. Denial54

Denial54

Jan 26, 2007
    I think i'm probally going to go with the Korg, but it just seems really expensive to me for a tuner(I'm cheep). I've heard a lot of people say the planet waves makes a lot of noise when tuning, does anyone have experience with this tuner? I can deal with a little fuzz but is it too much and too loud?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021