Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which tuning machines should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Beefbass, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey guys, I have a question. I have a MIM Precision deluxe-the one with the Jazz neck, and P/J setup.
    This is a really nice bass, except for one thing; the tuning machines absolutely suck on this thing!!
    That is surprising too; I also have a MIM standard Jazz, and those tuners are just fine.
    Anyway, what are some good tuning machines for a bass like this? I've heard the Hipshots were good-anybody using them?

Also, do you guys thing that a Gotoh 201 bridge would really make that much of a difference on these basses? I string them with Thomastik Jazz flats, and play a lot of older rock/country music.

Would appreciate any advice, thanks! :)

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

As a matter of personal taste, I like to keep a Fender looking like "a Fender." So, the sleeker, more modern looking hardware isn't my preference.

The Hipshot ultra-lights that replicate the style of the "real Fender" elephant ear tuners are great. Schaller makes some, too, but they aren't ultra-light. I always hated the crude, clunky, Klusons on my old Fenders.

I had sealed-lubricant Hipshots on a bass and they were terrific!....light, adjustable tension, and stayed in tune very well.

Anytime you can replace that lower grade, Mexican-Fender, hardware sounds good to me. So getting the Gotoh bridge, or a Leo Quann Badass, or an ABM would definitely improve the bass, IMO, as long as someone well-qualified does the installation.

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My favourites these days are the Schaller sealed ones that come on the Spectors - they work real well and seem to be very stable!

4. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    I don't recommend that bridge, it made my Jazz sound very midrangey. The stock bent-plate bridge is a great, very functional unit. Also the 201 is not as massive as it looks, the 'tailpiece' is actually hollow. And you might not be able to get the strings as low as you may want to.

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey guys, thanks a lot for the input. Will probably keep the standard bridges, since I actually haven't had any trouble with those. But those tuning machines will have to go-on the Precision anyway, they're awful.

Hey Rickbass, how was that gig Friday night?

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've put Hipshot UltraLites on two basses now.

My Tacoma Thunderchief got a used set a few months ago - they work great plus reduce headstock dive. My new Moses Jazz neck got the larger post version just last week.

In each case, they are very well made and have a precise feel. No slop at all, and they really are very light. I like 'em, and plan on putting a set on my DeArmond Starfire Bass next - another one that suffers from neck dive.

7. rickbass

Thanks for asking, Beef, but.....NO SPANKING!!!
    I've learned another funk music lesson - if you slap your own ass to the beat in the spaces where the bass doesn't have to play anything, some ladies will continue to slap yer ass on the beat when you do have to play.

But, being a relatively old sucker, I still can't complain.

8. Glad to hear that.
    :D

9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Thanks for sharing that lesson :D
    I gotta try that at my next gig.

I suppose worse things could have happened :eek:

10. rickbass

I don't know what it is, Beef. One night, I thinking of the "Spank That Ass" song and ZZ Top talking about "spanking the plank" ("plank" as in "guitar") and it came to me.

I don't get the attraction :confused: But as long as they pay the door cover, it's all good to me!

[​IMG]

11. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Wow, that sounds exciting!! :eek:

Most of the people that come out to our oldies gigs are older folks. Some of these 50-60 something women are as horny as billy goats!!

But as long as they pay their money too, it is all good-couldn't argue with that :D

I just don't know what the world is coming to sometimes, you know what I mean? ;)

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I love the Hipshot Light tuners. 26:1 ratio. A number of color options.

13. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    The hipshots look really good. Think I'm gonna be goin that way.
    Thanks guys :)

14. I'm thinking of getting some Hipshots for my MIM P too...too bad I have a set of unused Sperzal 2+2...dang.

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Rickbass, is there someyhing else you wanna tell us about?

16. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Another vote here for Hipshot Ultra Lites. I just put 2/3 of a set on my Carvin LB76, and they really improved the balance - no more neck dive! Now all I have to do is figure out how to install the other two; the peg holes are so close together that the Ultra Lites won't fit in the original orientation.

17. I had the Hipshot tuners on my Fender RB5. Very nice tuners. I currently use the stock tuners on my 2001 model MIM Precision. They are very nice, too. My P holds tune (with TI Flats) for weeks at a time.

I put the Gotoh 201 bridge on my P and cannot hear any difference. But, I like the way it looks so it stays there.

The biggest improvement to your MIM P will be replacing the cheap pots with high quality parts, and perhaps an after market or Fender MIA P pickup. I replaced mine with a Duncan SPB-2 Hot P which I didn't like. Too much mids. The SPB-2 was replaced by a DiMarzio DP146 which I like a lot better. It is massive, but neither the Duncan nor the DiMarzio have the Fender "percussive" character of the stock pickup. Perhaps a Duncan Antiquity or MIA P would restore this.

I think the best thing to do is, get a real good setup, then spend more time playing the bass. The 2001 and new MIM P are pretty nice basses.